Skip to main content

Mounting Radiator

More
11 Jun 2015 23:50 #29729 by pac32
Replied by pac32 on topic Re: Mounting Radiator
Just hold the T bolt with your finger as you put the nut on attaching the radiator. You can put the nut on thought the hole underneath the fender. It's really very easy. Remember to stuff a rag in between the two sides of the frame in case you drop something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
02 Jun 2015 18:16 #29696 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mounting Radiator
Short answer is yes to the first question and your finger to the second. Don't weld a stud to the plate, that will cause other problems.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2015 16:34 #29695 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Mounting Radiator
So does the spring sit on the tee bolt and then you stick the tee bolt up between the inner and outer frame rails? What keeps the tee bolt up in the frame before the nut is installed. I'm finally understanding why this bolt is a tee bolt. Jim explained that very well but I still had to "experiment" just to see the install. It seems like welding a stud to the radiator mounting plate sure could have "fixed" several issues.

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2015 12:19 #29693 by pfree3233
Replied by pfree3233 on topic Re: Mounting Radiator
I believe the auto manufacturers at the time used springs on the bolts at the bottom of the radiators to help with vibrations, etc. and to have a soft mount instead of hard mount to the frame.
Pat

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2015 03:13 #29691 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Re: Mounting Radiator
Stan of Auburn/Cord Parts probably has the pieces you need for your radiator. Don't know if he would sell you just one but you could ask.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2015 21:16 #29690 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Mounting Radiator
Thanks for the explanation Jim. I will be experimenting how this is put together. I'm just not visualizing what you have posted. So far I have only found one Tee bolt and spring. Looks easy enough to fabricate another. The spring might be an issue to find but.. If I'm understanding this correctly. The spring holds the tee bolt in some fashion from dropping or turning.

• Visitor
01 Jun 2015 11:54 #29689 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mounting Radiator
The springs go on the tee bolts and the tee bolts go up thru the frame to hold the radiator. The tee bolts are the only way to keep the bolt from spinning since you can't get a wrench or socket between the rails in the frame.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2015 00:07 #29687 by 1748 S
Mounting Radiator was created by 1748 S
Why is the radiator mounted in the way its done. The bottom seems to have 2 TEE bolts with springs on them. Why TEE bolts and why and where do the springs fit. Thanks for any help.