Skip to main content

Stromberg Carburetors

• Red Brick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 May 2015 05:03 #29579 by Red Brick
Replied by Red Brick on topic Re: Stromberg Carburetors
While the new Stromberg company specializes in the 97, they did make a run of EX-2 carburetors (14 pairs, actually) for 1933 and 1934 Auburn V12 engines: www.stromberg-bulletin.com/aubur ... berg-ex-2/

When I asked about the possibility of newly manufacturing the AA-25, here is what the Stromberg represenative said:

Without being too indelicate, the cost of such an undertaking for such a short run (compared to buying a carburetor off the shelf) is eye-watering, though maybe not so, compared to the cost of many an award winning Cord restoration or the cost of finding and restoring super-rare carburetor models.

So to answer your question, yes, we can do it, given the original pieces, time and budget.

He also said this about making the EX-2 for the Auburn V12 engines:

This was no light undertaking, achieved using the latest prototype technologies - digital scanning, new 3D CAD modelling then investment casting. We made around 28 pieces (14 pairs) for the Gilmore Museum - mostly the castings, but we did include a number of the small parts too.

I thought the Cord 810 /812 community would find this interesting. I don't know how many people would want AA-25 carburetors, but it seems that it would take a production run of more than just two or three dozens to make it worthwhile.

What is particularly nice, however, is that 3D printing combined with a good scanner and an original part to scan - all in the hands of one who knows how to use these things - could go a long way to re-manufacturing hard-to-find pieces if one could also cast them from the resulting 3D model. If we can keep young people in the old car hobby, 3D printing could be a real boon to their future projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
22 May 2015 01:11 #29576 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Re: Stromberg Carburetors
You can purchase a new 97 Stromberg carb from different antique auto part stores. Mac's in Grants Pass Oregon has new ones for $449.00. There are problems with using a 97 carb. The base is a three bolt base and ours is a four bolt base. I'm not sure, but I think you could probably switch bases. Using the 97 carb places the accelerator pump lever on the wrong side and also the choke. This is probably something you could live with but it would cost points in a judging. I'm not sure that the throttle can be connected to the shaft though the pictures I have seen make it look like there is enough shaft to do so.

Mac's has 97 carb repair kits which may allow you to salvage a carb. You probaly shouldn't use the 97 main jets which would come with this carb kit as I'm sure they are too small. I believe they are.047 and you should use something big like a .050 jet in a Cord.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 May 2015 18:04 #29575 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Stromberg Carburetors
Great information. Heres hoping they can and will do something for our EE15 or AA25 carbs.

• Red Brick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 May 2015 16:17 #29574 by Red Brick
Stromberg Carburetors was created by Red Brick
I just read in my "Farm Show" publication ( www.farmshow.com ) in Volume 39, Issue No. 3 (2015) that a couple of men in Suffolk, England have re-started the Stromberg Carburetor company ( www.stromberg-97.com ). They specialize in the model 97 for the hot-rodders, and they manufacture the carburetor with modern materials and processes (stainless steel parts that once were zinc or cad plated; pressure die casting instead of gravity casting; cellulose and nitrile gaskets). They also sell service and restoration parts.

I don't know if some of those parts are interchangeable with the EE-15 and AA-25, but perhaps the ACD community could prevail upon Stromberg to do something for the carburetors we need - even if it's just restoration or service parts.