Front Leaf Spring

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 May 2015 01:08 #29549 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Front Leaf Spring
Hello Tom. I'm not sure when you are going to Auburn but I know I will not be there. I'm in So. Ca. I do want what you have but shipping is my concern from you to me. All I really need is the 2 longest leafs as mine are ground down on one end. Right now Felix is looking at what he has in Oklahoma. I might add if you are going to Auburn soon may as well take it thee if someone is more interested than I am at this moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
14 May 2015 23:45 #29542 by
Replied by on topic Front Leaf Spring
Hi If 1749A doesnt want the front spring I am still bringing it to Auburn , It has all 14 leaves + A support plate on top It came from a good Cord . 50.00 takes. thanks Tom Dudley

• Visitor
13 May 2015 02:57 #29537 by
Replied by on topic Front Leaf Spring
Hi I have a complete front spring you can have cheap looks good . can bring to Auburn or you can get it here in Mi. Tom Dudley

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 May 2015 22:28 #29535 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Front Leaf Spring
Thanks For the information Tom. I do plan on upgrading the spring bolts to the stronger types. Not sure who I will purchase from yet. My car does have the spring safety brackets and I believe they were factory fitted. Not after installed because of my serial number.
I'm still not learning if I can just replace the 2 longest leafs instead of all 14 leafs. I did some research and found several leaf spring manufactures within 25 to 100 miles. I may take the complete spring to them and see what they say. I realize new material and a better understanding about how things are made can really change the way the car looks and rides with an updated desinged spring up front. For that matter even replacing the rear springs can improve the handling and ride. Mine are still under the car and the covers are in great shape. Not looking forwards to opening that can of worms. I'm betting the grease in there is going to me a mess of hardened tar.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
12 May 2015 13:33 #29534 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Front Leaf Spring
Hi Gary,

I suspect that what happened might have been that 1) one of the front spring bolts broke--the originals were known to do this. or 2) the front wheel cracked and went off on its own merry way unexpectedly, or 3) the hub broke--rare but not unknown.

When re-assembling the front spring, use replacement better-design bolts available from Stan or Henry Portz. You can also get spring retainers from Stan if your car doesn't have them.

Heavy-duty wheels are available, but not inexpensive. I don't know how to tell by observation a standard-duty rim from a heavy-duty rim.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 May 2015 23:53 #29533 by 1748 S
Front Leaf Spring was created by 1748 S
How are the front leaf springs sold? Can I buy leafs or is it recommended to buy a new complete spring? Reason for asking this is I have known for a long time one of my brake backing plates was ground off at the bottom like it had scraped along the road. Now I see the 2 longest leafs are ground nearly to a point. One has been ground thru the hole in it. Also the spring bolts on only one side has been modified by braising it to the large washers. I have no doubt Someone before me had a knuckle king pin assembly snap off so things hit the road. I do have all 14 leafs in the stack. Thanks for any help.