Skip to main content

Engine Pulling Time

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
27 May 2015 00:23 #29664 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Re: Engine Pulling Time
Hi,

LOL--in 1955, rust prevention consisted of zinc-chromate primer and a hard enamel paint. I'm not sure Rust-O-leum had been invented yet.

The green color came about because that's what my dad had most of a quart of!

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• acdclubadmin
  • New Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 May 2015 21:36 #29653 by acdclubadmin
Replied by acdclubadmin on topic Re:

Tom_Parkinson wrote: See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

--Tom

Other than looking really cool Tom, why did you leave your engine block green?

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

• william057
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
25 May 2015 21:01 #29651 by william057
Replied by william057 on topic Re: Engine Pulling Time
Happy Memorial Day to all and a special remembrance to all that have served in our Armed Services and those that have passed.
I also have found this day to be a Happy Memorable Day. The engine/transmission in 1752A finally been pulled. It put up a fight until the end and as my wife stated there is a foreign language of engine pulling that she had never heard of. After a little bit of negotiating the leaf spring, struggling with the front drive axles, etc., it is resting on wooden blocks in our garage raised floor area for final disassembly with the engine headed to the engine rebuilder west of here and the transmission heading a little south of Grand Rapids for its rebuild. It is one greasy mess (greasiest of all engines I have ever worked on) and I have to comment that even after emptying all the fluids prior to pulling, the transmission just kept pouring out more oil than ever imagined. So, far, the trans axles look really in good shape, transmission gears look good, no metal in the oil, etc. The engine was a known problem with a head gasket seal blown and one piston frozen. Other wise it is not in bad shape.

I am curious what the weight is of both components together, and our them separated. Any ideas or facts, figures on this?

Happy Memorial Day and Happy Memorable Day.
Bill

Bill Heisler - 1936 Cord

• Visitor
10 May 2015 01:33 #29527 by
Replied by on topic Splined washer
On the question of do it or don't do it, I'm dissenter...I'd advise you to DO the thick washer conversion now, while the tranny is out and the pricy guts are presumably intact. The cost is chump change compared to a possible catastrophic event. I experienced the splined washer breaking in my Cord back in the dark ages when I was a fuzzy cheeked lad and Cords were $300 cars. Fortunately I knew what was happening because I had a mentor who was an early Cord expert and he had warned me about it. Had I not known it could have been a disaster. As it was, everything was useable afterwards, except for the washer of course. Here's the symptom; when the washer breaks the sensation is that a phantom passenger has reached his foot over and put it on the brakes. This is the trans. trying to go into 2 gears at once. It lets up, then does it more. Don't shrug it off, it'll cost ya! I was one block from home when it happened, but the day before I had come from 120 miles away!
I also had a modification done by the late Tom Pendergast to the synchronizer ring to prevent it from malfunctioning and allowing the spring loaded balls to pop out and mangle the gears. I haven't looked, but that too should be in the trans manual and can be done for little cost. .

• Visitor
03 May 2015 01:25 #29506 by
Replied by on topic Engine Pulling Time
I have re-read the transmission removal steps in the Cord Transmission manual. This is very good and walks you thru the process with lots of tips. Again my recommendation is to pull the engine and trans as one unit. Trying to pull the transmission and leaving the engine in the car may be fine for someone that is 25 and in very good shape. The transmission weighs somewhere around 130 or 140 lbs (and has been getting heavier every year). Trying to slide that back 3/8". rotate it 180 degrees and then pull it out is asking for trouble.

One more point to note is that once you slide the trans back the 3/8" off the dowel you MUST support the transmission at all times, you can not let it rest on the input shaft. If you do you run the risk of bending the input shaft (I have seen several of these bent). It's much easier to do it on the floor where you can slide the transmission straight back. Also if you think pulling the transmission is by itself may be hard, try putting it back in!

Gary - if your mind is like mine... you are in deep trouble :D

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
03 May 2015 00:43 #29505 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Pulling engine and transmission
Some years ago, at a West Coast Meet, a club member from Reno, NV had a handout on removing the engine and transmission. I have a copy but we just moved and everything is a jumble. You could contact this fellow, Adrian Greive whose contact info is in the ACD Directory, and see if he could provide you with a copy. If he can't, then get back to me and I'll see if I can locate my copy. As I remember it was pretty complete and would be helpful.

You'll have to remove the oil pump and shifting assembly from the front of the transmission to remove it. Just take it slow and be sure everything is unhooked. You don't want to damage the lines for the engine temperature or oil pressure.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 May 2015 16:38 #29504 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Pulling Time
Tom... I really wanted to tell you exactly what Jim has told you but I'm not that knowledgeable about these transmissions. Had I said what Jim said it would have been a guess at best. Now I know I am of like minds with Jim. Removing the complete top shaft and gears is what has to be done. Also driving your car like you suggest will not be an issue. But like Jim suggests. Doing the upgrade for long term reliability is a thing I plan on doing. I suspect my trans will be completely town down to the last nut and bolt. What concerns me most of all is the differential gears. No amount of reading how to do that is the same as actually doing it. I'm going in just the same and sure will document it with stories and picks. If I can help others thru this I will feel a little better.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
02 May 2015 14:48 #29503 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Engine Pulling Time
Hi,

Thank you, Jim. You have given me a precious gift: peace of mind.

--Tom :D

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

• Visitor
02 May 2015 14:31 #29502 by
Tom,

Get some sleep. if yours is already done and you are only going to do light driving it will be fine. The original thrust washer will last especially if you are careful on the shifts. I think George has been running the original for years in his phaeton. I've pulled apart several transmissions with the original thrust washer still intact (working on one now).

But they do fail, So while someone is rebuilding a transmission it's worth while to upgrade and remove a known problem. I figure I never know how the car will be driven in the future. Most start off as trailer queens or very light driving. but if they ever get an owner like me, they get driven hard. I'd rather be safe.

Also to answer your question you can not do this modification without removing the transmission and disassembling the entire upper shaft.

CORDially,
Jim

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 May 2015 01:47 #29501 by 1748 S
Sorry Tom. I can't add anything to help make the decision for you. Not actually seeing your trans internals or how it was rebuilt leaves me with too many questions. Having the trans out of the car is most of the work done already. I have no idea where this thicker thrust washer fits either nor do I know if removing just some of the gears will make this job doable. I'm thinking this thicker washer is somewhere on the main upper shaft. Still not sure if the main shaft can be partly removed with a few gears to install this.. I will be watching the answers to this good question.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
01 May 2015 23:49 #29500 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

I am losing sleep over that thrust washer that I am sure my dad and brother did not upgrade back in 1955. I mean, who knew back then that such an improvement should be made?

1509A's engine and transmission assembly are currently out of the car. Can this shaft be removed and the parts upgraded without separating the transmission from the engine? The other side of the coin is that 1509A will never see more use than parading and local pleasure trips, and presumably that thrust washer can be expected to last through a lifetime or two of such light use.

Decisions, decisions. Any input?

--Tom

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 May 2015 17:26 #29499 by 1748 S

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/827734.cloudwaysapps.com/wqvptpacqq/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 304. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• Visitor
01 May 2015 12:05 #29498 by
Like Tom says get the transmission book before you start, it had a step by step procedure for pulling everything apart. It's been a long time since I read it (I've done too many of these I know what to do by heart) but if I remember if very good.

When you get to the engine and transmission pull them out in one piece and separate them on the floor. It's much easier.

Also when rebuilding the transmission send it to someone who has done several of them, it's worth the money to have it done correctly. The transmission is critical to having the Cord run and shift correctly and there are tricks that aren't in the manual. Plus after you have done several you develop the "feel" for how it goes together and what is right. Since you are in Michigan I would send it to Lee or George.

Jim

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
01 May 2015 10:11 #29497 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

Be sure to obtain the ACD Transmission Manual book from the ACD store. It's the best ten bucks you will spend on this job.

One strongly recommended item to do when rebuilding the tranny is to replace the 3rd gear thrust washer with a thicker hardened steel one. This requires some machining work to be done. Read about it in the Forum or in the Manual.

--Tom

• william057
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
01 May 2015 02:17 #29496 by william057
Engine Pulling Time was created by william057
It is finally time to pull the engine and transmission on 1752A. Any advice, suggestions and what not to do is appreciated. Getting the transaxle assembly taken apart seems to be the biggest challenge. When pulling the axles, are there any words of wisdom to do and not to do?

Thanks

Bill Heisler - 1936 Cord