resistor plugs

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2015 12:27 #29294 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic resistor plugs
At least you have the last working tube radio in the world, there are no videos of this for posterity, maybe you can get another member at a meet to film it operating on one of those new fangled cell phone thingy's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2015 03:48 #29292 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic resistor plugs
A U-What video. Do I need a 8mm Movie Camera or a Super 8mm for that?
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2015 23:01 #29291 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic resistor plugs
Good point about the carbon wires, would they compromise preformance? I have seen condenser filters on 6 volt generators in an attempt to supress noise.
I like the idea of carbon wire because putting all the work and time into the ancient box and it sounding good is more important than the color of the plug wires.
Please do a youtube and share it with us ACD enthusiasts of your working tube radio, with noise and without, I am so impressed I like the old tube radios as much as the ACD cars themselves.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2015 22:41 #29289 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic resistor plugs
My Auburn Speedster has a working radio. There is ignition noise when driving and it requires a strong station to get good reception. With the car not running the reception is much better, but the amp. meter is pegged. Remember our cars also have real wires to the plugs, not carbon filled.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2015 16:34 #29288 by balinwire
resistor plugs was created by balinwire
Has anyone noticed spark plug ignition noise on an original tube Cord radio?
There has been some discussion about proper plug choice, J9-H10. These were not resistor plugs <were resistor plugs available prewar?> so it seemed beneficial to replace with a resistor if a radio was to be used for noise suppression and it did not change engine performance.
Last time I had a working a working tube radio in a prewar car non suppressed plug engine was over forty years ago but I remember a bit of ignition static when driven but I just thought it was the points, condenser or wheel bearing friction. Not much interest in radios then, 6-12 convertors were the rage to power eight tracks. Fast forward to 2015.
I intend to possibly have my radio working sometime in the future, I am building a bench with a running 6v generator powered by a 110 volt electric motor for a 10+ amp power supply and a 6v car battery to filter generated DC volts; suppress the power, I have plenty of test equipment, tube tester, VTVM, signal generator to tune IF. I plan to change all capacitors, test coils and resistor's.
I will need my speaker rebuilt with new cone. I have a working head, the only part I need is the window column wire harness with plugs from an old Cord Body. I have a Crosley box so the plugs should interchange.
If anybody has ideas on speaker to radio harness please let me know. These are powered for the electro static magnet so it still has to have some insulation on it.