Skip to main content

Front Spring U Bolts

• Visitor
17 Mar 2015 03:51 #29308 by 1748
Replied by 1748 on topic Front Spring U Bolts
Thanks for the u bolt pics Tom. Those are just like mine but. Mine are nearly worn thru by 1/3rd the area just up from the flat areas. My stub frame was cracked and missing the piece where the spring mounts up to .. the locating hole was still on that piece but it was laying out of the car. Someone probably did not keep the u bolts tight. About 35 years ago I stripped the complete stub frame by dipping it. Then took it to work and cut out the ragged edges and weled in a new piece of Cor 10 boiler plate. I blended the edges of the weld and power sanded it smooth. It looks like normal metal in that area but.. Its MUCH stronger than the original piece. I also purchased the modified top leaf from JK Howell many years ago. I will be installing it when the spring in installed. You bet I will keep those bolts tight. I don't see the Cord being driven much more than maybe 8 or 10 thousand miles total. I am not comfortable driving it like Josh did. Way too mant not so careful drivers everywhere these days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
17 Mar 2015 02:07 #29306 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Front Spring U Bolts
Hi,

Here are pix of the used motor mount and u-bolts that are on my shelf. The flat spots are pretty discernible.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I'm glad that I dug this thing up. I had been wondering where the license plate bracket had gotten off to over the years. Parts grow legs, you know.

--Tom

PS: I just hate photobucket.

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

More
15 Mar 2015 23:09 #29300 by Randall
Replied by Randall on topic u bolts
felix DeGyter at Glen

Prays has nos ones cheap.

Randall

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2015 01:38 #29216 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Front Spring U Bolts
Hi Gary,

Are you sure they are worn? As I recall, these bolts have a designed-in flat inner surface.

Perhaps a member has a photo of the u-bolts?

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2015 21:44 #29215 by 1748 S
Front Spring U Bolts was created by 1748 S
Where can I buy 2 u bolts for the front spring on my cord? I realize Stan sells thewm but would like to locate another source for them. I'm not sure if these are a specific item for just the Cord of if other cars used the same item. Thanks for any information. Mine are showing some wear probably because they came loose and rubbed the frame. I feel they are suspect because of this wear. Its probably worn away 1/3rd of the material. Just not worth the rick to reuse them. These u bolts holds down the transmission mount too I recall.