Skip to main content

Cord Horns

• Visitor
17 Mar 2015 03:41 #29307 by 1748
Replied by 1748 on topic Cord Horns
Thanks for the pics but it answers as many questions as it asks too. All the Cords be it convertables or sedans. They have a much different Horn compared to what you pictured. Now I do have the trumpets with the same screens on them. Mine were installed on the passenger side of the front grille thru the louveres. Actually a small half circle was removed from one of the louvers. The ends stuck out the front of the car. I have no idea if that was an item you could buy from the factory. I have only seen Cords with the horns connected to the radiator supports and not off the hood lower lock piece of metal. I do have 2 sets of the mounts for 2 sets of horns as you have pictured. I understand those are very rare. When I learn how to post pics I will be showing plenty of pics. For some members its easy. I have never been successful with pic posting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
17 Mar 2015 01:58 #29305 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Cord Horns
By golly, it warmed up around here. Warm enough to trek to the garage and dig out 1509A's horn.

This horn was on the car in 1950 when my father bought it. The doorbell and wiring were not part of the car--I think it was rigged up to scare trick-or-treaters.

The mounting U-bolts:

File Attachment:

The bell is not one-piece.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

There's a screen on the bell:

File Attachment:

I found no manufacturer's name or trademark anywhere on the horn.

File Attachment:

I hope this helps.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Feb 2015 18:45 #29205 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cord Horns
Yes, it is cold in MI. but we don't shake!
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2015 03:31 #29204 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord Horns
Thanks for that Tom. Sorry its so darn cold back there. I "talk" with friends from both sides of Canada and from Montana to Florida. Some around the great leakes region are freezing cold with huge snow drifts. Spring can't come too soon for them.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2015 01:36 #29203 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Horns
Hi Gary,

If it EVER gets above zero-degrees around here, I'll go out to the garage and get some pix of the horns that were on 1590A in 1950. I have no reason to believe that they are not originals.

1509A was built as a 1936 and was re-numbered to a 1937 at the factory.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2015 00:48 #29202 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord Horns
Thanks for the quick answer. Now is there a name on these? For some reason I thought they had to be autolites but not sure about that. l recal some discussion some time back a few years about how the u bolts had to be attached to the radiator supports. I know Stan sells an autolite horn name tag and its placement is particular too.

• Visitor
20 Feb 2015 23:14 #29201 by
Replied by on topic horns
I believe a clue to correctness is the diameter of the trumpet end. It is somewhat unique at 4 5/8", at least on ones I have encountered. I haven't looked for a while but think I remember the Judging Standards gives their lengths.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2015 21:53 #29200 by 1748 S
Cord Horns was created by 1748 S
How do I know what horn was a factory item on my 37 sedan? I learned a few days ago that 3 different horns came from the factory. I have 2 sets of horns. Is there a name or a number or what?