• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2015 17:29 #29173 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Wheel Bearings & Seals
Tom make sure you mic both the inside and the outside seal fit. Both the wheel seal and the differancial seal came in 2 different outside sizes. One was 2.875 and the other was 2.882. Mine are the 2.882 size but somehow I ended up with the smaller size. Not that big of a deal at $9.00 each. Just wonder how I may have missed this when ordering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2015 15:03 #29171 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Wheel Bearings & Seals
Hi,

Thank you, Gary.

I'll mike the shafts on my built-as-1936 to see that these seals fit. I have NOS tight front bearings--purchased sometime in the 80's!

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2015 09:12 #29170 by 1748 S
This is what I purchased from Monarch Bearing Company ofSanta Fe Springs Ca. Phone 562 945 1288... The inner universal shaft to the differantial housing seal isTimken 470898. They were $9.45 each. The seal measures 2.125x2.875x0.375.
The wheel bearing is the New Departure 55509ND. It is the double shielded bearing. I removed one seal. Cost was $47.00 each. The bearing has the numbers NDH 5209 Made in USA on them.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2015 03:03 #29164 by 1748 S
Hello Tom.
I sure will but it will have to wait till tomorrow if thats ok. Remember that there are 2 different seals sizes. Mine required the larger outside diameter seal for both the wheel bearing seal and the differential seal.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2015 22:52 #29163 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Wheel Bearings & Seals
Hi Gary,

Do you have a manufacturer's number for those seals?

Thanks,

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2015 18:04 #29151 by 1748 S
Wheel Bearings & Seals was created by 1748 S
I finally broke down and purchased the double row front wheel bearings for my car. They were the New Departure as oem. They were double shielded so I removed a seal. That side will face the grease in the knuckle. The cost was $47.00 each.My seals turned out to be the same size as the differential seals where the universal joints enter the differentical. I got 4 of those. This bearing mark told me there were no seals the size I wanted for this. They showed me a seal that fit nice and tight to the turning universal seal area. They were around $18.00 each. Happy to be working towards a roller again.