Skip to main content

A Deal

• dryesandno
  • Registered
More
23 Jan 2015 08:09 #29006 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic 1937 cord cabriolet - paul marut car
according to ron irwins 1984 roster list i believe this was the former Paul Marut car.

serial no. 1113F
frame no. 113
original engine FB1706 (per the data tag on the cowl)
current engine FB 2193 (per the engine number in the car)
body number C92 158

paul marut placed an ad in the june 1960 club newsletter saying that he had two auburns and a phaeton. no mention of this cabriolet.

ron irwins 1984 list shows paul marut owning the car from 1967

i believe paul marut was born in december 1916 and died in may 1979 at the age of 62. he lived most of his life in phillipsburg, new jersey. assuming i have the right paul marut. can anyone confirm this? his ad said he lived at 536 liberty avenue in phillipsburg, new jersey.

the russo and steele catalogue did say the car had just two prior owners.

anyone in the club know if paul marut was the original owner?

anyone know who bought the car from marut?

i was told by the fellow who restored the car that cool orchard green was its original colour as far as he could tell. anyone in the club ever see the car when marut owned it?

one can never have too many of these beautiful cabriolets.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dryesandno
  • Registered
More
23 Jan 2015 07:15 #29002 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic 1937 cord cabriolet - paul marut car

• Red Brick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Jan 2015 06:07 #29001 by Red Brick
Replied by Red Brick on topic A Deal
It sounds like some of you know whether rumble seats were a factory option or not. I don't know if this rumble seat is original; however, the text of the offering statement reads:

"This car has the rumble seat option and has been converted to outside exhaust. This Cord was a two owner car and always maintained in good condition."

This seems to imply that it is "original". With only two owners, it should be possible to determine if the rumble seat was original, added early in its life, or added much later.

Personally, I like the variants (Hardtop Coupe, Rumble Seat, and Continental Kit) as long as they are done early in the Cord's life or are disclosed as having been done later as a re-body or re-creation.

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2015 22:25 #28999 by Mike Brady
Replied by Mike Brady on topic A Deal
AJ,

Sent you a PM

regards, Mike

More
22 Jan 2015 13:13 #28995 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic A Deal
How many cars came from the factory with the rumble seat option? I assume this is not one of those. It is interesting to compare the Convertible Coupe to the Auburn Speedsters as far as market. I always thought of them in about the same ballpark but it doesn't seem everybody else does - at least these days.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2015 05:53 #28993 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic A Deal
1936 Speedster sold for $770K at Gooding.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Red Brick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2015 04:24 #28989 by Red Brick
A Deal was created by Red Brick
I just saw the results of the Russo & Steele January 2015 Scottsdale auction. It looks to me like someone got a super deal on the triple-green 1937 Rumble Seat Cord Convertible Coupe. At $151,250, the Cord was #9 of their top 10 for the weekend: www.hagerty.com/Articles-Videos/ ... 01-21-2015

Despite the pipes, this Cord is non-supercharged. You can still see some pictures of it at: www.russoandsteele.com/collector ... 812/103551

While some may take issue with the car's color combination, to me its only shortcoming was that its restoration did not take advantage of Richardson universal joints. Nevertheless, I congratulate the new owner and hope he (or she) is able to take advantage of the Cord's restoration to enjoy driving it - weather permitting.

Does anyone know who purchased it?

Albert