Skip to main content

Gas Door Key

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2015 00:05 #28958 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Gas Door Key
I do not know if in the judging standards or not (via I am doing Auburns verses Cord - give me some time though and I bet a Cord will find its way into the garage), but it kills me to see so called "perfect" Cords that do not have authentic/proper keys.

P.S. The Auburn 851 Sedan that I had (and Craig Birkhold now has) came with 2 sets of original keys (incl. Auburn script ignition key) - rare of the rare.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2015 20:45 #28937 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Door lock
Hi again: as I was doing the restoration on my Westchester, I made sure all the doors locked, and that the key worked. Since then, I have never locked the car. Even sitting out all night at the hotel in Auburn.
Check the new judging guidelines concerning keys and locks. I don't know what it says offhand. But for judging this year for my second Senior Emeritus, I was not asked to lock anything.
Tim.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2015 20:37 #28936 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gas Door Key
Thanks Tim. You posted this some time back when I asked why this locking idea was sent out from the factory that way. I suppose an owner "could" install locking handles on all the doors just to make getting in any door on a sedan easy. Would not be correct but nice just the same.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2015 20:30 #28935 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Door lock
Hello all: to be correct, the passenger side door should be the locking one. Why is that? "Back in the day".....most parking was angle in. So the gentleman parked at an angle, locked his door by pushing the handle down, walked around to open the passenger door for his lady, and then locked that door with the key.
Tim.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2015 18:13 #28931 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic door locks
I remember talking to Josh Malks several years ago and he said that he was going to have his driver door handle modified to lock. I believe that he did so. I'll have to check it at the Museum in Auburn to see if he did go ahead and do it.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2015 16:39 #28928 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gas Door Key
Thanks Tom. I did some investigation and found out the gas door is a stand alone key. So is the trunk and the glove box locks. The only place thats will share a key is the ignition and the front passenger side door lock. BTW for those that may not know this. The ONLY door lock on any Cord be it 810 or 812 is the front passenger side door. I suppose we could change that easily. For those owners that do not know how the outside handles come off its really not difficult if you know the place to reach the inside springs. Open any door. On the back side of the open door you can see 2 drilled holes about 3/8 diameter. Those are there to reach inside the door to press on the flat springs so the handle will come out of the door skin. Remember some of these handles may never have been off the cars on many years. For me it was best to have the inside door panel off to actually see and spray oil on the springs. It greatly helped loosen the years of buildup on the springs. My car was never in a salt inviroment so I don't have the road salt damage some cars have.
Now I'm still learning about these great cars. Much of what I just posted is from other well known members helping me along the way. If I have misquoted anyone please correct me. Last thing I want to do is send bad information on to anyone. This site has been very supportive on my restoration.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2015 06:54 #28921 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Key
Sorry, I meant Brad Waken.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2015 06:52 #28920 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic keys
I don't know but as I remember I just keyed them all the same. Might be some one like Brent can give you the right answer.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Jan 2015 16:13 #28911 by 1748 S
Gas Door Key was created by 1748 S
Does the gas door key share with any other key on the sedans? I thought maybe it shared the ignition side door key but not sure yet. I have not been able to test this.