Skip to main content

Cam & Rocker Removal

• Red Brick
  • Registered
More
14 Jan 2015 06:25 #28887 by Red Brick
Replied by Red Brick on topic Cam & Rocker Removal
It would be great if you could post pictures, but it sounds like you're doing good work!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 17:20 #28877 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cam & Rocker Removal
My cam and rockers are finally out on the bench and bagged and tagged. Found some bearing issues. Seems 2 bearings spun in the block because the clearance was too tight on the cam. So I need a set of cam bearings. Are their ant other bearings that fit the Cord?
Now for the how its done. I had no idea which end the cam comes out from. Of course I went the wrong way by attempting to pull it out from the water pump end. Can't happen because the bearing journels are smaller towards that end of the cam. There are 5 bearings on the cam but only three on the crank. Go figure that one. Getting the cam out the flywheel end is no problem because the clearances of the bearings to journels is getting bigger as you withdraw the cam. I found it easier to remove the rocker shafts only enough to remove one rocker at a time. I took pics because of the shims, springs and spacers found. All that was in new condition because this was rebuilt in 1961 by some shop. I have no idea who did it. Everything was ground and it new condition. New roller rockers and ground new valves and adjusters. My cam bearings are not the babbit type but the aftermarket type that looks like brass. Not the clad babbit material. I have not measured the bearing to block interferiance fit yet on the spun bearings. I'm not too woriied bout those journells being opened up because the bearing spun like is found when a main spins in a gas engine. It usually ruins the block. I have not removed the tube that supplys oil to the cam bearings or the timing chain yet. I may not remove it. I really do not think its ever been removed. Now back to the cam removel. The oil pump drive shaft has to be removed before the cam can get out because of the rocker shaft and the diameter of the gear hitting the cam bearing. Thats the tricky spot. There is a tiny little straight blade screw drive slot in a small threaded ste screw back just about and to the right of the drivers side rocker shaft square plug. Probably be best to clean off that end of the block because its nearly impossible to see. Mine was tight. I ended up using and hammer impact and some heat and aerokroil soaking. It finally came loose. Boy was it long too. Once that is out just drive out the shaft from the bottom of the engine block. I made up a soft landing for it when it came out. A third hand would be nice to have in this instance. I'm going to need some demensions on the bearing journels. I miced all of them and need to know what the block bore size is for the bearings and the cam bearing to block beaing fit is.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2015 04:46 #28849 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cam & Rocker Removal
Hopefully I will be able to post pictures of what I have found but I'm not very good on the computer.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2015 00:57 #28848 by 1748 S
Cam & Rocker Removal was created by 1748 S
Can someone tel me the correct way to remove the cam and rockers. So far I have the drivers side rockers removed and boy what a complex set of spacers and shims. Now the passenger side is next. I really do not know if the cam comes out the water pump end or the timing chain end. I have both pulleys removed but not the pulley on the water pump end that the belt pulley bolts to. I realive I can pull that off easily. I noticed the oil pump drive that the distributator is also driven by has that almost hidden pin on the timing chain end of the block. Mine appears to have never been removed and its tight. Think I will need to make a standard screw driver tool for my impact hammer tool. Just not sure how to remove that yet. I did figure out how to loosen the rocker shafts and move both of them. The drivers side is out. Everything is new that I have found. Ne valves, rocker adjusters, shafts. Really everything for the valve actuation is new. All nicelt ground flat in all the right places. The rokkers in the rockers are new and roll nicely too. I recall something somewhere that the passenger side rocker shaft is shorter. I noticed the water pump end of the cam has the 2 bolts holding it in the block. Probably the thrust bearing mechaincs. Now the bottom square plug of the 3 on the back of the engine. Is that an oil tube that supplys oil to the cam chain and is it removeable also? I do see the hole drilled in the end of it.