Skip to main content

Rights & Lefts

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 22:56 #28885 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic valves
Glad to have helped in some small way. If you have a problem you want to discuss give me a call. My main number in the ACD Directory is the best one. Also after 5 PM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 20:30 #28884 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rights & Lefts
Tom thats a good idea. Why I did not try that is funny because I did just that when I removed my diesel injectors and roller lifters years back. Sometimes I think I'm loosing it.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 18:48 #28882 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Number valves
Not difficult. I use a cardboard box and punch 16 holes in it to hold each valve. I just number the holes 1L,2L,3L,4L & 1R,2R,3R &4R.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 17:30 #28879 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rights & Lefts
For me its always been easier to refer to the passenger or drivers side on the car or truck. In this country that usually never gets confused unless we talk about cars from other countries. On our engines they are in backwards. So the back is the front but when you concired how the manual refers to left and right is normal again. Wait till you attempt removal of the valves. Keeping that matched up is nearly impossible. Cylinders are numbered 1 thru 4 from the flywheel back to the firewall on both right and left halfs of the engine. It was tuff for me to keep everything correctly bagged and tagged.

• convertiblesforever
  • Registered
More
12 Jan 2015 17:04 #28869 by convertiblesforever
Replied by convertiblesforever on topic Right/Left
A bit of history on this. Years ago when I ran my auto salvage yard I had ADP Hollander installed for inventory control and interchange lookup. It seems that when the first Hollander interchange manual was published in I think 1930 or 1931, Mr. Hollander did indeed start the practice of left/right as being seated in the driver seat. This was shared with me by the ADP Hollander representative that was installing my system. I found that interesting at the time....
Glenn

More
11 Jan 2015 03:37 #28861 by Ohio AMX
Replied by Ohio AMX on topic Rights & Lefts
In automotive terminology Right and Left refers to your perspective when seated behind the wheel. LHD or RHD doesn't matter.

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2015 00:44 #28847 by 1748 S
Rights & Lefts was created by 1748 S
I'm removing my cam and rockers. My information talks about the right and left of the engine. Its confusing really. We all know the drivers or passenger side of the engine. For cars driven in the US thats easy. I just wonder why my information is kind of subjective depending on what side of the car you are standing on.