Skip to main content

Original Cord 810 Prototype film footage

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2015 17:22 #29071 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Original Cord 810 Prototype film footage
Viewing this vid again I noticed something I did not see before. This engine has what I feel is the first carb air filter. Its nothing like the barrle filters seen on most if not all non supercharged engine. For some odd reason this is the filter I have for my carb. I'm guessing the 1748S build had the barrle type air filter but may have gotten lost or damaged long before we got the Cord. A very good pic of this filter can be seen on page 105 of the Dan Post book. The Classic Cord

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Jan 2015 04:20 #28901 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Original Cord 810 Prototype film footage
I would guess perhaps a General, Lee of Conshohocken, Martin, Dayton Thorobred, Master/Cooper/Falls, or Denman (if any of these were producing whitewalls in 1936) could have offered a single whitewall, but it is my understanding that it was doubles whites or nothing (blackwalls) with Goodyear, Firestone, BF Goodrich, & Vogue (which were always a flashy tire).

JMM

More
15 Jan 2015 01:22 #28899 by pac32
Replied by pac32 on topic Original Cord 810 Prototype film footage
That's what I thought but the film looked like a black wall on the inside. Thanks for setting me straight.

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 09:04 #28872 by johnmereness
You are seeing an optical allusion, how they throw the light for photography, wishful thinking, or .... - car would have double whitewalls as there were no other choice in a mainstream tire brand.

JMM

More
13 Jan 2015 01:20 #28871 by pac32
Replied by pac32 on topic Original Cord 810 Prototype film footage
In watching the film i noticed that the Cord has single white wall tires, I thought double white wall tires were used until the late 30s.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Jan 2015 18:20 #28817 by 1748 S
I recall reading about a Cord called Coppertone but have not seen or heard of it for some time. I don't know if it was an actual factory typr car either. So I'm watching for more information as many others probably will be about the prototype with the inboard head lights. Love any Cord history....

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Jan 2015 16:40 #28816 by johnmereness
The car in the museum is referred to as the "copper tone" cord (I believe) and I have not really heard if the copper plated trim was someone?s vision or if Auburn/Cord really built a car in this "trim" originally. The car itself is an early 'pre-production" car (I believe) and not one of the original show cars. The inboard headlights were added in restoration to match the prototype cars (aka this particular car did not come new with the inboard headlights). I would like to hear more and I am sure there are plenty of members who have exact details.

JMM

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2015 23:57 #28813 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Original Cord 810 Prototype film footage
Hi,

The ACD Museum has a Cord with the sideways opening headlights. I do not know whether or not it is that exact same vehicle as the one in the film. It is not the same light color.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

--Tom

PS--When the website is re-done, hopefully pix will be easier to upload.

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2015 23:26 #28811 by 1748 S
Does this car still exist or maybe just the front fenders? Or was it hauled back to the factory and destroyed like others i have read about.

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2015 19:45 #28810 by johnmereness
The bumpers on a 1935/1936 "show car" or prototype (i am not sure wjat the proper designation would be) are different and the bumper guards are 1935 - 1936 Auburn (rear guards as they are cut straight verses fronts that are cut on an angle via the shape of the Auburn bumper).

You are correct that sure as all get out it has hubcaps with the vent holes in them (and I agree that you would not think it would).

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2015 23:11 #28806 by 1748 S
Interesting vid. I noticed the odd looking front bumper brakets that look nothing like what we see on many cord bumpers. The head lights coming out of the inner fenders seems odd how they appear to just out. Then there is the license plate showing a 1935 date. I'm not sure that can be seeing that those vented wheel covers were a second type for the later Cords. I have that style carb air filter to. I do not have the larger filter that mounts towards the drivers side and supported by a brace off the exhaust manifold. Still a nice car. Also to the new member that wants to see how the outside door handles come off. Look at the vid around the54 second time frame. See the rear door open. See the 2 small holes up near the lock. Thats where you stick a flat blade screw driver in to press on the springs to pull the handle out of any door.

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2015 20:54 #28805 by johnmereness
Original Cord 810 Prototype film footage was created by johnmereness

[url:19cg9xpg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q95FcIVFjnE[/url:19cg9xpg]

JMM