Cad Plating Trip Today

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Jan 2015 18:39 #28904 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cad Plating Trip Today
So yesterday I gave in and allowed the cad plating to be done. I did this because I called the place in KY and a person named Jim told me they do not cad plate anything.. Go figure. He also told me he had no idea who did it near them but thought maybe someone in Ohio did this. So for the fee of $200.00 doing 42 pieces makes it possible for me to put together most of my front end suspension. My next step is to contact the shop in Yuba City Ca. See what they offer. Shipping really bothers me but I have only had one item lost by the post office. That was my front pulley on my Cord water pump. Lucky for me I had it insured for $200.00. The box was 3/8 plywood nailed closed too with a divider in the middle so both pulleys did not bang together in shipping. So because one piece reached Stan I only got $100.00 insurance from the post office. Yeah I got robbed but what is a guy supposed to do with a goverment business.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 17:25 #28878 by 1748 S
Thank you Bil. You saved me from ACD withdrawals I was having. I got my "fix"... Now if I can get a name or number to the shop in Ky I will call them about cad plating a bucket full for me. I'm concerned about shipping loss but want to find a better place than what I have now. I feel no commitment to have the shop in Santas Barbara do the plating for "about $200.00". Just something wrong with that idea. I realize it just might be the young mans message but its not a good way of doing buiness...

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 15:54 #28876 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Cad Plating Trip Today
The entire website, including these forums, are being upgraded right now.

Everything will change shortly.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2015 15:07 #28875 by 1748 S
Well thanks to a couple of special members here I'm finally able to post again. Thanks Bill and Tom for the help. For those that don't know about this it seems if in our profile we click on the spellchecker we create all kinds of issues and can't post anything. I just did this and got an error code phpBB critical error can't connect to the database... So I'm back and very happy too. It was nice to have a spell check as long as it lasted.

• Visitor
12 Jan 2015 17:13 #28870 by
Replied by on topic Cad Plating Trip Today
Here in Kentucky it costs me $100 / bucket, whether there is one thing in the bucket or one hundred.

Joe

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2015 00:13 #28829 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Cad Plating
For what it is worth, I have had 100's of pounds of parts cad plated at Superior Plating in Minneapolis. Toward the end they upped their rates to $75 for a five gallon bucket of parts, whether it was a hand full of bolts or a full bucket. Cad is barrel plated unlike like copper / nickel / chrome which is wired and racked. $200 seems way to high to me. Unfortunately our friends at the EPA put Superior plating out of business a couple of years ago.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2015 23:16 #28827 by 1748 S
Well I called the plating shop once again today and finally got a real person on the phone. Told him who I was. When I dropped off my parts on Friday. Told him I was supposed to have gotten a call yesterday with an estimate and asked if I have missed something.. Turns out the "boss did not come in yesterday so no estimate nor even a call telling me this. I like to be informed but some shops obviosuly don't care enough to keep the customer on the same page. Now when I called about 4 hours ago the "boss" was too busy with work to give an estimate but would call be in about 15 minutes. I got a call about 30 minutes ago and let it go to voice mail. That was a hell of a 15 minutes too. So for 42 pieces that includes one inner univeral joint housing. 10 lug bolts and the outer suspension arm bearing shim pack and felt schields its ABOUT $200.00. Not happy with the about estimate and probaly wont use them. I have to cool down just a bit and think this thru. For sure I will be thinking hard and probably use Yuba City Plating. I listen and learn here what others have taught and really do understand people do have bad days or weeks. Business is not a business without happy cusatomers.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2015 21:54 #28825 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Cad plating
I have used a place in Yuba City, CA for both chrome and cad plating. The owner is Gene Hutchinson. I have been satisfied with all their work. It is called Custom Chrome and Bumper. The address is 335 Garden Hiway, Yuba City, CA 95991. Phone is 530-673-2360. I mailed my stuff and they mailed it back. No problems and prices seemed fair.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2015 04:55 #28821 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cad Plating Trip Today
That is not a good sign. Now comes the lost parts. The shop I go to for plating photographs all the parts when they get them and sends the photo for confirmation. They have never lost a part and I have sent some small ones and a lot at a time. Good luck and I hope I'm wrong.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2015 04:20 #28819 by 1748 S
Well today I was supposed to get a call from this plating shop with an estimate. No call by 1130 am so I called there. Had to leave a message. Its now a little after 8pm and still no call. They are open from 930am to 5 pm. This is no way to treat a customer. If the owner was not there I expect at least someone calling me to tell me that and I will get an estimate. We will keep hoping for a good impression but so far .. Nope... I will keep this forum informed.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2015 05:24 #28804 by 1748 S
Cad Plating Trip Today was created by 1748 S
Today I drove up to Joe's Plating in Santa Barbara Ca from L.A. Horrible trip up in traffic nearly every mile. Homeward trip was thru Filmore on 126 and it was fast and smooth. No traffic. But anyway got there about 2 pm only to find out the person that makes estimates had to leave so I wait till Monday for an estimate on 42 pieces. I took both suspension a arms outer bearing housing seal packs with the upper and lower king pin felt washer caps. Both wheel nut and washers. Ten lug bolts. And finally just one inner universal joint housing with spring. I have no idea what this will cost but sure am wondering. Its like Christams and birthday all rolled into one day. Total miles driven was around 260 miles. While in Santa Barbara the wifey and I had lunch at Max's for an all English feed. Wifey likes the real fish and chips and the mussy peas. I usually get the bangers but this time I got the fish and chips.. Great food really. Funny thing was these 2 places were about 300 feet apart on the main drag in town called State Street. Of course there is no parking in front of any business along that part of the street either. Good times today..