• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2014 20:56 #28760 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Intake & Exhaust Valves
Thanks for the tip on the evapo rust. Looks like a good item.
Now for an update on the findings. All new valves and guides. So someone did a good thing..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2014 16:07 #28759 by xjn001
Replied by xjn001 on topic evapo-rust
Use the search engine using (evapo-rust) for this web site and youtube.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2014 07:55 #28758 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Intake & Exhaust Valves
Mike I'm not sure where the babbit is. So far my main bearings are removeable but I have not removed the cam as of yet. I do have all the valves removed and they are all new valves plus the guides are all new. Boiling out the water jackets was something I was thinking about doing but it was not going to be a bath in a large vat of muratic acid. Just the water jackets.. Building some head block off plates is easy. Then the 2 water lines from each side of the block is another easy idea. I'm still not sure what way I will be going. I'm just not sure any shop in California can boil out any rust in the block like they used to years ago. We will see later.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2014 05:26 #28757 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Intake & Exhaust Valves
You realize that boiling out a block will remove the Babbitt. I'm not sure about muriatic acid but it sounds like a pretty drastic step. If it is not complexly neutralized bad thinks could happen.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2014 03:36 #28752 by 1748 S
Intake & Exhaust Valves was created by 1748 S
So what are the angles on the intake and exhaust valves and seats? I have one bank removed and they all appear to be new valves. The guides are new this is for sure. The intake valves have the name Tompson NC on them. Don't know if they are after market or oem types. I have not removed the rockers yet but they are roller needle bearng types. Might be hand lapping the valves with some 600 grit lapping compound but am waiting to see what the final outcome is. The block will be boiled out. It appears to have some rust in the water jackets and that wont be left there. I know I can run some muradic acid and water thru the system to rid the rust. With no freeze plugs to bother with it would be simple to set up a small 12 volt pump to run the cleaner thru the system. Just need to figure out the flow path with the heads off but plates drilled and gasketed on the block. May just allow the shop to boil out the block too. I just hope they do a good job of it.