Skip to main content

Intake & Exhaust Valves

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2014 04:33 #28754 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Valves
The angle on the intakes valves are 30 degrees and the exhausts valves are 45 degrees.

When I removed the rust from my block I used a very long common screw driver with a narrow blade and a magnet on a long flexible shaft. I used the screw driver to break the rust loose and the magnet to remove the rust from the block. It took quite a while but I think I got everything. I kept the rust that I got out and weigh it. It was over 5 pounds. After that I had the block soaked at an engine shop. Probably should have had it soaked before I scrapped it. Anyway, I don't have a heating problems as it never gets over 180 degrees. I put screens in the top water inlets of the radiator to catch anything that comes. Check the screens but not much there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2014 03:33 #28751 by 1748 S
Intake & Exhaust Valves was created by 1748 S
So what are the angles on the intake and exhaust valves and seats? I have one bank removed and they all appear to be new valves. The guides are new this is for sure. The intake valves have the name Tompson NC on them. Don't know if they are after market or oem types. I have not removed the rockers yet but they are roller needle bearng types. Might be hand lapping the valves with some 600 grit lapping compound but am waiting to see what the final outcome is. The block will be boiled out. It appears to have some rust in the water jackets and that wont be left there. I know I can run some muradic acid and water thru the system to rid the rust. With no freeze plugs to bother with it would be simple to set up a small 12 volt pump to run the cleaner thru the system. Just need to figure out the flow path with the heads off but plates drilled and gasketed on the block. May just allow the shop to boil out the block too. I just hope they do a good job of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.