Piston To Cylinder Clearance

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2014 13:48 #28440 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Piston To Cylinder Clearance
Thanks Mike for the help. I know the top of the pistons are tapered compared to the actual diameter where you suggested. These pistons are new by the way. I plan to check the other bank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2014 01:40 #28434 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Piston To Cylinder Clearance
The piston to cyl. clearance I us is .001 for each inch of bore. .006 is too much clearance in my opinion. Make sure you check then all. I have seen sets of pistons with inconsistent dia. Check the dia. at the bottom of the piston skirt, not up by the rings.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Oct 2014 04:15 #28429 by 1748 S
Piston To Cylinder Clearance was created by 1748 S
Well so far I have measured 4 cylinders and they are 3.507. I have not found the 2 thousands taper my Dad told me the cylinders have for wear in them. But thats a good thing. So I measured one piston and its 3.501. So that makes the running piston to cylinder clearance 0.006. I'm no expert but I feel thats perfect. Anyone know what I should have. I also need to know what the running clearance is for the rods and the main bearings. Thanks for all the help. I have been getting some very helpful pm messages too. With this help I will be able to return my engine to even better running condition that when I got it. Thanks everyone. This is a wonderful helpful forum.