Skip to main content

Cam, Crank & timing Chain Gears

• Dave Henderson
  • Visitor
31 Oct 2014 01:44 #28443 by Dave Henderson
Replied by Dave Henderson on topic Timing Chain
Old time members may remember Lyman Greenlee's 1952 booklet with parts interchanges, tune up data, and maintenance hints. I dug mine out remembering that there was an interchange for the chain. A long shot perhaps, but it might be worth checking out with Cadillac sources;

810 Use Link Belt No. 433 (Cadillac or LaSalle- '32-'35)
812 Use Link Belt No. 451

There was no mention of gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2014 23:43 #28424 by pac32
Replied by pac32 on topic Cam, Crank & timing Chain Gears
Then & Now Automotive can make up a timing chain for you. They did one for me 2 years ago about the same price. www.then-now.com

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Oct 2014 18:34 #28423 by 1748 S
Cam, Crank & timing Chain Gears was created by 1748 S
My cam gear has plenty of wear on it and the chain was really loose but not any flex from worn pins. It does not bend when holding it to check the pin wear. So I probably need both the crank and cam gear. What is the availability of these new or if need be, used. Egge is out of stock for the chain but if they have it the cost is around $185.00. Getting the generator drive pulley off was easy. I recall a member posting how to drive it off with jacking bolts but that usually ruins the seal. No problem. I have some thin Tiatanium plate and I slid it up between the jacking screw and the seal. Used 2 bolts and removed the gear easily. Checked the timing chain oiler hole in the end of the cam area. That large plug has a hole in it but not sure if its open. Will check later. This engine are run maybe 3 hours since being rebuilt back in 1961. It was driven only by me about 1 mile when I got the wiring hand made enough to see the dash lights and all the running lights working. No electric vacuum shifting was done because I had nothing for that. My car was manual on the colume only using 3 forward gears. It was part manual and part electric vacuum. I never figured it out either. It now has all the oem electric vacuum parts and switches. Thanks Henry Portz for that..