Skip to main content

Engine Torque Specs

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
27 Oct 2014 19:24 #28410 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic engine specs.
When I put my engine together I torqued my Rods to 35/40 lbs. ( I converted to insert bearing); Mains to 90 lbs. and the heads to 55 lbs.

Check your head bolts to make sure they are not too long and aren't bottoming in the block. If they bottom you will think the head is torqued down but you will have a water leak. I check by putting the head and gasket on without the washer under the bolt. If you run the bolt down and there is any space between the bolt head and the head the bolt is probably too long.

Check the pressure of your valve springs with a gauge. Valve spring pressure at 2 3/16" should be 57/62 lbs.

Make sure that the oil hole to lubricate the time chain is in the rocker arm shaft plug.

I'm an old hot rodder and I ported both the intake and exhaust in the block before I put it together. I think it was worth the effort.

Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Oct 2014 03:42 #28407 by 1748 S
Engine Torque Specs was created by 1748 S
Where can I find the torque specs for the Cord engine? I recall it was talked about a few months back but nothing really came of it. Is there a book I can buy? Thanks for any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.