Thermostai Housing

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 22:40 #28390 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Thermostai Housing
Thanks everyone for the great information. I'm impressed with it. I will be using cast iron for now. As easy as aluminum is to weld I wonder why nobody has repaired the housings before. Getting the aluminum clean may be the reason or possible poor cast aluminum quality might be a reason. I know not all aluminum is easy to weld. I'm very good heli arcing T6061 aircraft aluminum but cast aluminum is tuff. Have no idea what the housing material is but may find out later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 16:07 #28388 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Thermostai Housing
Hi,

When my dad bought the distressed 1509A back in 1950, he subsequently ordered a bunch of parts, including NOS aluminum water outlet fittings. I am so glad he did--I would not look forward to hogging replacements out of billets of either aluminum or steel. I suppose in a pinch for a non-judged Cord, the fittings could be fabbed up and welded out of steel tubing. That's likely what I would do if necessary.

Given a lathe and a milling machine, many parts can be fabricated, but of course they would not pass judging.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 14:42 #28386 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Thermostai Housing
Hi:

The cast iron housings for the standard engine are the rare ones. It seems like Cord guys always have a couple of sets of unusable aluminum housings including a few cowl filler versions that have been blocked off. The cast iron housings seem to look better every minute.

Mark

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 14:03 #28385 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Thermostai Housing
Thanks Mark. When you say the standard engine thermostat housing is extermely rare. Are you telling me the cast iron is the rare type or both cast iron and aluminum housings are extermely rare for the standard engines.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 05:29 #28383 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Thermostai Housing
Hi:

As you know, all supercharged thermostat housings are cast iron and are incredibly durable. The really rare standard housings are also incredibly durable and if you have them, I would certainly consider using them over the aluminum versions. Judging-wise, I think using either does not pose a problem since they both are authentic Cord.

Mark

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2014 15:06 #28378 by 1748 S
Thermostai Housing was created by 1748 S
I have both types of thermostat housings. My car is a late 37. Which housing should it use. The cast iron or the aluminum housing. Or does it matter.