Skip to main content

swing arm bearings

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2014 06:11 #28394 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic bearings
As to greasing the original bearings there was an article in a early Newsletter that covered installing grease fittings. I did it to my Westchester and it wasn't too difficult. I grease both the inner and outer ones at least once a year or every 1,000 miles. If you can't find the article just ask and I'll look it up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 15:14 #28387 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic swing arm bearings
My bearing and race numbers are.
Race is Torrington IR2424
Bearing is Torrington M28241.
These parts are from some 37 years back when I found out how bad my original parts were. I really fel the busing and sleeve mofification idea is a better idea that the needle bearing cup idea. If you think about the original design it has no possible way to lube them. So a bushing with a zerk grease fitting or simply adding a grease fitting to the oem design sure would increase the life of a possible no longer part.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 05:39 #28384 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic swing arm bearings
Hi:

The good news is that these are still available after a little bit of a hunt. The race Timkin IR-2424 is on eBay right now for $21.99 plus $3.99 shipping. The auction number is #160688813342.

The bearing is also available with the same number as original but is configured without an end cap on the bearing. You can still use them in the open end version by simply tacking or epoxying a 1 3/4" plate on it during installation.

Mark

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 00:35 #28382 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic swing arm bearings
I got my last ones from a friend in Australia. You might check that way if you don't find them locally.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2014 00:35 #28381 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic swing arm bearings
I got my last ones from a friend in Australia. You might check that way if you don't find them locally.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2014 15:04 #28377 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic swing arm bearings
Sadly I heard these bearings and races were no longer available. I have seen the race offered on ebay from time to time. Might want to contact Felix or Stan. If anyone would have them its these 2 guys. I bought mine probably 38 years ago but never installed them. I will dig them out and post the brand and part number. It may help you in searching.

• mojoe59
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Oct 2014 23:59 #28367 by mojoe59
swing arm bearings was created by mojoe59
I am looking for two of the bearings that go between the swing arms and the frame pockets of my '36 Westchester. Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether you have the bearings for sale or know where I can get a pair of them. Part is Torrington bearing M28241 and sleeve 1R2424. Thanks.
Joe <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] or 860-868-7012