Skip to main content

Replacing Heads

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2014 04:49 #28476 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Replacing Heads
There is a Co. called Time Serts that also makes thread inserts. I used them on a BB Chevy once. The inserts are great unless, as Jim says, the hole is near the edge of the block. You have to drill a bigger hole than a helicoil requires.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
11 Nov 2014 13:43 #28474 by
Replied by on topic Replacing Heads
Hi Gary,

Where did you see that the chrome acorn nuts were a factory option? I have never seen or heard that before.

You are correct the new new heads are thicker and require longer bolts. Just be careful to measure them. I have seen some that were a little to long and bottomed out.

One other note on Heli-coils, I have had problems with these int he past both leaking by and pulling out. The good thing about them is if you strip one bolt (usually the last one you are doing the final torque on) you can install the Heli-coil without removing the head. However because of the problems I've encountered I use a full threaded insert instead called EZ-LOC. The good points about these is you can drill and tap oversized to a standard thread so you don't need the special tools. They are coated in Loctite so the outer threads seal when installed. and the best part is if you ever strip one out you can just remove the insert and install a new one. They also make thin wall inserts for some of the Cord blocks that have the holes for the head bolts too close to the edge.

One last note to Tim - the washers under the head bolts are thick flat washers that are cad plated.

AREN'T THESE CARS FUN TO WORK ON? - I'm off to install a wiring harness :)

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
02 Nov 2014 14:22 #28456 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Studs or bolts?
Hi,

When my dad and brother rebuilt the engine for 1509A, they found that many of the bolt holes were stripped. Their solution, in 1955, was to drill them out and tap them oversize for studs. I don't know if heli-coils even existed back then. If they did, I am sure that my dad would not have trusted them.

Collectively we made studs on the South Bend lathe with one size (I am guessing 9/16") at one end and another size at the other end. I recall as a 6-year old being allowed to engage the thread lever on the lathe as this was being done.

As a result the block has all studs and nuts. Among the collection of parts there's a bag of chromed acorns that were purchased to go over the nuts.

File Attachment:

I am not going to convert it back. For my Cord, judging is not an option for many reasons in addition to the engine bolts.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Nov 2014 00:12 #28455 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Replacing Heads
Hello Tim. My reason for wanting to use chrome acorn nuts and studs under them is I read the acorn nuts were a factory option. If they were not an option then I sure wont be using them. As for reusing the original bolts. I thought the new aftermatket heads required a longer bolt because they had larger coolant areas in them so longer bolts were needed. I do not have the original washers for the head bolts. I was 10 years old when Dad and a good friend were putting the engine back together Friday and Saturday nites. Now some beer was consumed during they late nite jobs too. I have found the gaskets they made from the old yellow pages front and back covers. The oil pump to the block had one there. The front timing chain cover is another one but I'm sure that was made from some other large piece of cardboard material. I'm seeing the letters and writing on this gasket material. Too bad Dad did not know gasket material was available from several places too. Or they knew but felt the hell with it. Its interesting to find this from all those years ago. Dad passed on in 1997. One of my wishes was to take him for a drive in the finished Cord. Sadly that never happened. I feel he is watching me now.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2014 23:42 #28454 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Bolts
Hi Gary: why use non-original bolts on the heads? It's just as easy to use correct ones. As others have noted, head bolts should have a "w" on them, although no marking would be acceptable. They also should be silver cad plated and a silver cad lock nut underneath it.
Just a thought.
Tim.

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2014 18:57 #28449 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Head studs
I am no expert, but I have removed my 810 heads many, many, times! I think with studs, you will have a very difficult time removing the heads at a later date! I recommend using heli-coils where necessary and the proper length Bolts with lots of "never-seize" lubricant. Then you can r&r a head in about 1hr without difficulty, if you blow a head gasket! (If you seldom drive your car, other ways may work) Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2014 03:15 #28356 by 1748 S
Replacing Heads was created by 1748 S
I realize we can buy several differnt heads made by several differnt companies. Is there a company I should not buy from and why? Also will judging be a penalty if new larger water capasity heads are used? My plan is to use chrome acorn nuts and studs so the old bolts will be saved no matter what. Thanks for any comments.