Skip to main content

Brake light voltage problem

• Visitor
17 Oct 2014 15:17 #28350 by
Replied by on topic Brake light voltage problem
Dennis,
It sounds like you may have a bad connection some where. First is the problem with one or both brake lights?

Check your wiring. Power is supplied to the stop light switch mounted on the back of the master cylinder. Make sure you have 6 volts going into the switch and coming out when the brake is applied. The wire then runs up under the dash, up the right side post, across the roof (above the right side doors) and down to the trunk lid. There should be connectors near the right side trunk hinge (in the body). Try pulling these apart and make sure you have 6 volts there. There are also connectors at the lights if I remember right. Any of these connectors could have pulled apart and not be making good contact. I have also seen the pins in the bulb sockets or the bulbs get worn and tarnished and not give a good connection(more likely if the problem is only with one tail light.

Good luck,
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dennis Jolicoeur
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2014 01:11 #28348 by Dennis Jolicoeur
Brake light voltage problem was created by Dennis Jolicoeur
I have a problem with the voltage on my brake light line on my 36 Westchester. First, the ground on the tail lights is good. The tail light, light up beautifully bright, but the brake light bulb filament just barely glows. Has anyone seen this problem? I do not have a good wiring diagram to try to trouble shoot it.

Dennis Jolicoeur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.