Skip to main content

Bendix Brake lining

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2014 16:03 #28290 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Brake lining
I agree about the use of riveted lining on our old cars. Years ago when I was in the garage business, molded / bonded lining became popular simply
because it could cut costs for the brake shoe rebuilders. The old established
brake companies pointed out that baking the lining changes the coefficient
of friction as manufactured originally. We found that riveted lining could
outlast the bonded type. Production costs and power brakes trumped the
use of the riveted lining.

George.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2014 17:13 #28283 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Bendix Brake lining
Almost all linings these days are bonded. Generally, you never hear of any catastrophic mishaps where they might have failed. All that being said, I still think riveting is the way to go when at all possible. Arcing the shoes is critical especially where there is a question on the stopping power of an OEM brake set-up. Given the history of the Cord system, it definitely would warrant the extra time and expense.

• Dan DiTullio
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2014 15:18 #28282 by Dan DiTullio
Replied by Dan DiTullio on topic Bendix Brake lining
I would stay away from the molded lining, that is what I had on the car before. It heats up rather fast and you get brake fade sooner. I just installed new woven lining on my Cord and must say this is the way to go. The woven lining with the Brass imbedded helps to dissipate the heat better than the molded lining. You must rivet these onto the shoes. Arc grinding is the way to go. In my case i used 1/4" thick lining instead of the 3/16" thick as called for. This was because I had over sized drums after turning and I wanted more thickness so that they would fit with minimal grinding.

Hope this helps,

Dan

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Oct 2014 00:08 #28267 by 1748 S
Bendix Brake lining was created by 1748 S
Well I found a place close to me that will reline my brakes. They will ark the lining to my newly turned drums too. I can have my new old stock lining applied but its going to be bonded and not riveted to the shoes. They can rivet other lining but at another cost. Anyone see and issue with bonding any lining to the shoes? I'm thinking it will last longer because the rivets must have a purchase to hold the lining to the shoes thus we loose valuable lining.