Skip to main content

In the lid--out of the lid?

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2014 15:21 #28232 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic In the lid--out of the lid?
Hi,

Here's a picture of a 1937 Westchester--a different one from the one above, apparently, with outside tail lights. No extra rivets, proper-looking license plate light. Curiouser and curiouser...

File Attachment:

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
23 Sep 2014 13:37 #28225 by
Replied by on topic In the lid--out of the lid?
Tom,

I would discount that photo of the Westchester, at least until more info is known. If you look the trunk lid has been modified. There are two "rivits" below and on either side of the license plate light. Also the license plate light doesn't look right but it's hard to tell from the photo.

On the Phaetons the tail lights were in the trunk lids on the early cars and moved to the body on the late cars (sometime in 1937). At one time Ron Irwin was collecting information trying to determine when this change took place.

CORDially, Jim

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2014 20:19 #28215 by Tom_Parkinson
In the lid--out of the lid? was created by Tom_Parkinson
Some Westchester sedan images appeared on the Cords, Hollywoods, Skylark Facebook page, and they have raised a question in my mind. The red purported 36 810 Westchester--not a bustle-back since no hinges are visible---has its tail lights outside of the trunk lid. My known-to-be 36 renumbered as a 37 Westchester has the lights IN the trunk lid. When was the change made? In googling images I have found the same inconsistency in convertibles as well.

Curious!~

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

--Tom

PS--the Photobucket site is the most awkward, unfriendly, and evil site I have encountered short of malware. When the ACD Club website is re-done someday, I hope we will be able to upload images like all the other car club pages can.

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE