Skip to main content

Cord Owners Club?

• Don Gheen
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 13:25 #28160 by Don Gheen
Replied by Don Gheen on topic Cord Owners Club?
I spoke with my father. He does not have any of the newsletters from the Cord Club. He told me that most of the information in the letters was about parts from other makes which would also work on a Cord and issues and solutions people had for driving and maintaining the cars.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
03 Sep 2014 15:00 #28091 by
Replied by on topic Cord Owners Club?
There is a picture in one of our newsletters showing several auburns and cords and something about a early club before World War II. I don't know which newsletter. Maybe someone could look it up.

Tom D.

• Visitor
03 Sep 2014 12:11 #28090 by
Replied by on topic Cord Owners Club?
Justin,
I have several of these buckles that I've picked up on ebay over the years. It appears there were at least two runs made of these buckles. One has a back like the one you show, the other is from Indiana Metal Craft in Bloomington Indiana. I also have one that has the Indian head on the back from Montauk Silver Company, Made in England.

In asking some of the old timers on the East Coast there was a Cord Club (not sure if it was this one or not) that was run out of Baltimore prior to World War II. My understanding was that the club fell apart during WW II when most of the people in it got drafted. I've never been able to find out much on this club.

Jim

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
31 Aug 2014 00:56 #28071 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Cord Owners Club?
Hi,

There are two such buckles listed on Ebay at the moment. I don't know if they are real or knock-offs.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Don Gheen
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2014 03:38 #28069 by Don Gheen
I just noticed that on the cards I posted it reads "Cord Car Club" and not " Cord Owner's Club" like the belt buckle. Dad called it the Cord Owner's Club but I suppose there may have been a different club as well. It would be interesting to know. What seems interesting to me is that many of the cars were less than 15 years old when these fellows were forming the car clubs. The ACD cars were orphans by that time though so there was no longer a "dealer" you could take your car to if you had a problem. I suppose that would be a good reason to pool whatever expertise that could be gathered from the guys who loved these cars.

I will be talking with Dad soon and will ask him about newsletters. I know he has all of the ACD newsletters.

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2014 20:20 #28067 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic Cord Owners Club?
Thanks for posting these Don! If you come up with any of your Dad's newsletters from that club, they would be interesting as well.

• Don Gheen
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2014 11:44 #28066 by Don Gheen
I am starting to get the hang of this process. I can operate an aircraft worth millions of dollars but a cheap computer......not so much.
[[img][url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/birdmandeg/media/cordcard21_zpse5965312.jpg.html:22gvvqd8][img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/birdmandeg/cordcard21_zpse5965312.jpg[/img][/url:22gvvqd8][/img]

• Don Gheen
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2014 11:40 #28065 by Don Gheen
My first attempt to post a picture was not successful. Mr. Cyberspace I am not. I think I just figured out how to make the image actually show up on the forum. As of now I can only get one image to post. I will try to post the other one later. Thanks for the link to the instructions.

[img][url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/birdmandeg/media/cordcard1_zps6f77a99c.jpg.html:2gqwvjrj][img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/birdmandeg/cordcard1_zps6f77a99c.jpg[/img][/url:2gqwvjrj][/img]

• Don Gheen
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2014 11:24 #28064 by Don Gheen
These images are of the membership cards my father has for the Cord Owner's Car Club. Now that I have seen them I realize that in my earlier post I mis spelled Mr Ciuba's name.

[IMG]

• landmark
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
27 Aug 2014 08:18 #28049 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Re: Cord Owner's Club

Don Gheen wrote:
(...)

He is having a friend send me copies of them so I could post them to this thread if I can figure out how to do that.

Hello Don,

here you will find instructions how to post pictures on this site.

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudway...viewtopic.php?t=2448

You will find that aswell @"Picture Gallery"

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• Don Gheen
  • Registered
More
27 Aug 2014 03:07 #28048 by Don Gheen
Replied by Don Gheen on topic Cord Owner's Club
I spoke with my father today (Bob Gheen). I told him that the subject of the Cord Owner's Club came up on this forum. He doesn't recall any belt buckles but was a member of the Cord Owner's Club from 1949 to 1953. He thinks that club started circa 1948. He said that many of the folks from that club simply went to ACD as it was organized. Dad is a charter member of ACD.

Dad said that the Cord Owner's Club was based in Texas and was run by a fellow named Theodore Cuba. He said that the newsletter was just a mimeographed affair with very few pages. My father still has two of his membership cards. Strangely enough he had them near his chair when I called him on the phone. He could look at them while we talked. One is dated Nov 2, 1949 and the other is dated 1 April 1953. It is just a typed card and has the serial number of your car listed on it. He is having a friend send me copies of them so I could post them to this thread if I can figure out how to do that.

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2014 19:51 #28040 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic Cord Owners Club?
I believe the Cord Owners Club may of existed before the ACD Club. I recall Bob Gheen telling me that he had been a member.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2014 16:29 #28039 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord Owners Club?
I have a buckle that looks like this one but on the back side it has a print showing an chief indian and around that is the words.. Montauk Silver Company. I recall having 2 of these but only one is in my hands at this time. I have never seen a buckle with the 810 on the front of it. I have no idea where these came from as far as a club goes. My first buckle was found at the Harley Davidson swapmeet in the Anahiem Convention Center around 1973 or 4... I think I got my other buckle from ebay. Been too long to remember that. Funny how I have great long term memory....

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2014 15:21 #28038 by Justin Kerns
Cord Owners Club? was created by Justin Kerns
Has anyone ever seen this belt buckle before? I'm trying to find out if a similar 810 buckle was made.

Also what is the Cord Owners Club?

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan