Generator Belt

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 Jul 2014 22:07 #27874 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Generator Belt
Thanks Bil. I have given thought to doing that too but for now I'm looking for the correct generator and pulley. Condition is not important either because I can convert it to an alternator or rebuild it with my parts. Does anyone know the generator part number for the shunt type early generators.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2014 20:49 #27873 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic your generator
Just tossing in my two cents.....you may be happier with an alternator. It sure has made a difference for me. If you want/need to retain the look of a generator there is an outfit that advertises in the ACD Newletter that will convert your generator casing into a alternator. Think it's called a "Gener-nator"
Cordially, Bill

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 Jul 2014 02:00 #27869 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Generator Belt
Hello Jim.
Thanks for the reply. Now can you tell me what correct generator is for my 37 beverly sedan non supercharged. What I have now is an Autolite GCJ 4807-A2. It fits and works. Was rebuilt and in very fine condition. Mark Tomei has helped me with what he tells me is the Autolite GCO 4804 with the SP 263 pulley. Now I have information from acewichita.com showing an Autolite GAR 4630. So now I'm really confused whats correct for my car. Mark also said I could use the early generator with the top mounted regulater. I really looking for information as to what these parts number are supposed to fit. Then I can decide if it worth it to get either the early or late expensive generator. I also realize I can buy different wire harness's for both types of generators. Thaks for taking the time to help me make things correct. Everyones help is really appreciated. This is a great information resource.

• Visitor
30 Jul 2014 00:16 #27865 by
Replied by on topic Generator Belt
Hi Gary,

I can't tell you the length and width but I can tell you the numbers from what I use. The for the generator I use a Gates Green Stripe belt 152 294K D

For the water pump I have a NAPA 25-08650 G3D.

Both of these are coged belts so they are not quite right but any belt supplier should be able to change them over to the original style.

Jim

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Jul 2014 20:03 #27863 by 1748 S
Generator Belt was created by 1748 S
Can someone tell mewhat the length and width of the generator belt is. I measured my cam drive pulley width and got about 11/16. I thought they wetre a special 5/8 wide belt. Also is the factory maker still making them or do I need to use another maker. A name sure would help. Thanks for any help.