Skip to main content

Outer Universal Joint

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2014 18:44 #27619 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Outer u joints
There is only one way the steering linkages will fit and work properly. I don't have a picture handy, as one picture is worth a thousand words. The brass piece should be "snug"; it should be able to rotate on the shaft, but not real loose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2014 18:37 #27618 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Outer Universal Joint
Thanks Tim. So the outer bells are Cad plated. My inner u joint housing bells are clearly Cad plated but need redoing. As for left and right outers, how can I tell which is which. On another note my outer brass bushing has about 12 thousands clearance on the shafts. I'm told that 3 to 4 thousands clearance is the oem specs. Do these come machined ready to install or do they need to be honed to fit.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2014 11:00 #27617 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Outer u joint
They are cad plated. There is a left and right side for the outer u joint housings because the steering linkage connects to the housings. No left and right for the bells as far as I know.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2014 02:38 #27616 by 1748 S
Outer Universal Joint was created by 1748 S
Is the outer universal joint bell that rotates back and fowrads as the wheel is turned Cad plated or simply just steel. I can't determine if mine are or are not. I can see the inner bels are Cad plated and I will be redoing those. Thanks for any information on this. Also one of these bells are taller than the other side. Is there a left and right to them.