Skip to main content

Transmission spline thrust washer

• Visitor
28 May 2014 00:55 #27603 by
Replied by on topic Transmission spline thrust washer
Hi Eric,

Welcome to the world of Cords. I've rebuilt well over 20 Cord transmissions but not as many as a few others. But I have seen a lot of different problems in there.

I would not trust the the original 3/16" thrust washer. If everything is just right and the transmission never gets abused they do work, but I've seen too many that have failed and the results are not pretty.

I normally go with the 5/16" thrust washer. I've never seen one of these fail and there is still room if there are ever problems to go larger. I should say I've never had troubles with the 3/8" with fit or operation unless parts are worn.

Off the top of my head I don't remember how thick the 2nd gear thrust washer is. I'll have to check.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eaj564
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 May 2014 23:20 #27586 by eaj564
Transmission spline thrust washer was created by eaj564
Hi Everyone, first post so I will introduce myself.I am Eric Johnston from Minneapolis Minnesota.
Jim Arneson and I are trying to get 2 cars back on the road, the 36 Westchester in the 1936 engine post and a 37 s/c custom Beverly. We were left with engines and transmissions that are piles of parts. In regards to the transmissions I am looking for advice on the 3rd gear spline washer.
Would using a 3/16 washer made with the correct material and properly heat treated be the way to go? In the cord transmission manual by A S Ayers he states that going to the 3/8 washer removes too much material from the syncro hub making it too shakey on the sleeve. I see that the Auburn /Cord Parts Inc. sells a 5/16 washer, is this a compromise? I can make washers any size and modify the sleeve, would like to know your thoughts as I have 4 transmissions to repair.
How thick is the 2nd gear bronze thrust washer?
Thank you, Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.