Brake & Clutch Peddle Stops

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2014 00:45 #27747 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Brake & Clutch Peddle Stops
Thanks Henry for the great diagram. I sent you a PM..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2014 04:14 #27738 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Brake & Clutch Peddle Stops
Guys, here is a drawing of the stops that were welded to the frame after the service bulletin had the original ones hacksawed off next to the frame. The pieces remaining on the frame were left there (made from material about 1/8" thick & 3/4" wide). They then had hose clamps installed on the pedal shafts to serve as stops. Lengths were also specified for the pedals to extend above the floor inside. Later cars had the tubes welded as shown on the drawing. I'm not sure that the factory installed a rubber tube over the projecting tube to stop the clank when the pedal was released, but I did.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 May 2014 17:46 #27542 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Brake & Clutch Peddle Stops
Thank you for those demensions George. Now all I need it the tube size of the stopa and the lengths they are.

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
14 May 2014 01:27 #27514 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Pedal stops
Gary, I recently visited fellow member , owner of an 812 phaeton and
measured the location of his pedal stops. CLUTCH: from rear of the steering
gear wedge to the front of the stop 3 3/4 ", BRAKE: SA above: 4 1/2 ".

George.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
14 May 2014 00:31 #27513 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Brake & Clutch Peddle Stops
I believe replacing a cut off e-brake pivot is actually some sort of ACD rite of passage from novice to confirmed novice... I know this since I purchased two before being let in on that secret.

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 May 2014 00:14 #27512 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Brake & Clutch Peddle Stops
Hi, I once in the early years of Cordum ( that's slang for having to many)
purchased an e-brake pivot lever because someone cut mine short. Wrong-- the factory cut them when the added bendix brakes.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
13 May 2014 21:35 #27511 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Brake & Clutch Peddle Stops
Hello:

One of those interesting anomalies again. Early cars didn't always use these stops to my knowledge. They are however on all late '36 and all '37 cars. The confusing thing to a restorer when it comes to these features is the hap hazard way that they were installed. In another instance on supercharged cars, there are extra pieces of steel added to the stub frame for reinforcement purposes. The ones I like the best are the roughly 4" pieces of 1/2" angle iron that are added to the bottom of the gussets at the very front of the frame. I took them off of my first car because they looked a little too shade-tree mechanic to me. Obviously, once I was enlightened by our friend Josh Malks, I put them back on immediately. The stops you are referring to are quite functional and keep the peddles in the interior of the car level and more comfortable to use. Good luck.

Mark

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 May 2014 04:16 #27507 by 1748 S
Brake & Clutch Peddle Stops was created by 1748 S
Well I have been really busy on my Cord and have been looking at the 2 Cords in the Schlumpf's Cord posting. Nice to see an unmollested Cord and a reasonably nice restored Special. So I'm looking closely at the special and I do not see whats on my frame by the brake and clutch peddle area. I have 2 pieces of what looks like 3/8 pipe welded to the frame. They are not on the special so I cut them off my frame. Then I see them on the Blue Cord and they are the stops for the peddles.. Boy am I saddened by what I have done. So did all Cords come with these stops or did the special not have them. I have made up my mind when I get that far along I probably will make up a replacement stop just like what I took off. I just do not have an exact location or length or tube size as of yet. Not sure where they went when I cut them off. May have to go looking for them..