Skip to main content

U-joint question

• Randall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 May 2014 12:16 #27505 by Randall
Replied by Randall on topic drive shafts
Thank you so much for the help. I was really worried that i would have to put clips in the grooves and could not figure our how to go about it. Your explanation of why they are there in the first place makes it all clear now,

Thank you so much

Randy

Randall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2014 11:04 #27500 by vaco
Replied by vaco on topic U-joint question
Randy
You are totally correct, put no clip. I had to remove a gearbox from a Cord which had clips installed (I do not know by whom and when). To get it out of the car I had to dismantle the inner joints completely, as otherwise the gearbox with the axle installed cannot be taken out. It was a pain in the ... to take out the "rivets", which hold the sphere like cover, all being still installed in the car. And with the gearbox finally out, one clip had to be ground with a Dremel, because you cannot reach it properly (the one on the other side was then easier to remove). Stan Gilliland told me that the first type of joints used had a clip but they had a different design so removal was still possible.

Regards Mario

• Randall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 May 2014 01:42 #27498 by Randall
Replied by Randall on topic Drive shafts
Thank you very much for the response.
However, I am aware of the pin as I had to drive it out to get the drive shaft out.
I was referring to the groove on the drive shaft near the splines on the inboard drive shaft . this part is inside the tranny when everything is in place.
After looking at the transmission today. I am thinking that there is no way there could be a clip that goes in the groove becuse there would be no way to get to it from the acces cover on the transmission.
Thanks for the help

Randall

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 May 2014 21:32 #27496 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic U-joint question
Hello Randy;
I'm no expert but from my drawings I show a drive pin in the outer splined shaft that goes into the inner u joint. Then of course the large nut outside the brake drum holds the shaft from moving in or out. This pin I'm refering to is about 5/8 inch long and about 5/16 diameter. It has a part number thats calling it a groove pin and the number is 7009. Hope this helps.

• Randall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 May 2014 01:50 #27494 by Randall
U-joint question was created by Randall
Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a clip that holds the inner/ inboard Ujoint from slipping out of the transmission?
When I took out my drive shafts I noticed that there is a groove on the part of the inner splined shaft that goes into the rear end differential.
Is there supposed to be a clip that is placed into that groove from iinside the tranny after the drive shafts are replaced? If not, what keeps the shaft from slipping out (and then the seal would leak if that happened) of the differential/Tranny?

Thanks
Randy Freeman

Randall