Outer U joint Bearing

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2014 04:18 #27464 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Outer U joint Bearing
Today I was watching a ebay listing for 2 bearing races number A 6157. They are the king pin bottom races. They were listed for $8.00 both both and free shiping. You bet I bought them. So now I need to find the outer wheel bearings and a couple of sels for the inner u joints at the differencial sels. They are the Garlock 3900. They have the outer diameter of 2.882 and not the 2.875 diameter. Things are coming together nicely. I'm looking forwards to the 6 pages of information too. Its like Christmas in April here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2014 05:24 #27462 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Outer U joint Bearing
Is there any way to get rid of this wide screen. It is really anoying to have to scroll back and forth to read a post.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2014 05:01 #27461 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Outer U joint Bearing
That's an incredible list. Thank you!! These are the sorts of things we can do collectively as a group. Pretty soon, we'll know every possible thing that there was ever to be known about these cars!! Ok, maybe close to everything.....

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2014 03:04 #27460 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Bearings and Seals #'s
Hi,

I have the above-mentioned list of bearings and seals. Lord knows WHERE I got it from, but it's on my 'puter as a PDF.

If I managed to do the photobucket thing right, they should appear below.

[img

[img

[img

[img

Maybe these will be of assistance.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2014 02:17 #27458 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Bearing and seals
If you have back issues of the ACD Newsletters you will find listings of the bearing and seal you might need in both the June and July issues of 1958. If you don't have these issues you will find the issues in the ACD Club DVD that the Club has for sale on this web site. I have found that I couldn't get some bearings here in the US but a ACD friend in Australia got them for me. This was a few years ago so they might not be available now.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2014 23:52 #27457 by 1748 S
Way back in the mid 80's I bought what I thought were all the swing arm bearing and races and seals. Those are really interesting inner Torrington needle bearing with the race that loooks like a common piece of pipe. Then the outer couble row Timkin bearings with the odd looking race. So I have that. I just forgot to buy the lower king pin race but I did get the bearing. I was unawhare of the seals on the u joints both inner and outer but am finding some info on that to. Its really not a big deal making the inner gasket to the trans case but that seal that keps the differantial oil in the differancial is not a planned for find. But again... Reading u joint prints really haelps if you color in what your looking at. Study is what I do best when something is interesting to me..

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2014 23:41 #27456 by Mark Tomei
Thank you George. I think I will attempt to put together a list of these bearings as an interactive posting. I will add the ones I know for certain and then other members could add or even correct a number as appropriate. I will check into the protocol for doing this with Bill our Webmaster Wizard and come up with something we can all use as a permanent reference. i'm guessing it would be most appropriate under the heading, "Restoration Guidelines". It's projects like these that make us all work a little closer together!

Mark

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2014 20:00 #27454 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Cord Bearing List
Mark; The Club printed a bearing list, published in NL 1975-No 10- P21.
Two corrections are needed: Rear Wheel inner cone "2738 " should read
2788, Kingpin Lower Cup " A-6175 " should read A-6157 , this error also in
the Club Transmission Book list.

Front Wheel Bearing: N.D. 5509 ( 1 shield) & N.D 55509 ( 2 shield )
I found New Departure No's on the box as above, but bearing No. was
5209, and shield No. was 5509. Note that most of the replacement No's
have 5209 as their basic number.

Bearing numbers have always been a bit of a mystery.

Hope this helps.

George.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2014 16:34 #27452 by Mark Tomei
Hi and yes, for that application. I think there is a list out there of bearings and seals that could help everyone. I needed the cup bearings on either side of my foot pedal shaft a few months ago. As you know, that are fairly small. When I was quoted $77.00 a bearing plus $15.00 shipping, I had a whole new respect for them. After shopping a bit, I found them at an industrial wholesaler for about $4.00 each. With some of these challenges, patience Is a virtue. With others like the inner swing arm closed cup bearing, you might be waiting forever for that golden deal. I recently purchased the New Departure #55509 bearing for $42.29 plus $6.25 shipping.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Apr 2014 17:05 #27439 by 1748 S
Nope.. I don't think those pics can be any larger. Do Mark. Are thesae the bearing I need. If so thank you very much for the help. Does anyone have a list of the bearings and seals needed for the Cord. I sure could use a master list for later on as things continue to get attention.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
24 Apr 2014 15:56 #27437 by Mark Tomei
Could those picture be any larger??

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
22 Apr 2014 06:14 #27419 by Mark Tomei
Corrected answer:

Hi. Mike is spot on with that advice. The bearing you're looking for is a one-piece sealed double roller bearing. The correct part number is 55509. I would caution you to pay close attention to the actual numbers in the description. Many eBay bearing sellers are consolidators and industrial salvage people.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Apr 2014 03:29 #27418 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Outer U joint Bearing
I have discovered that the letters on L-29 bearings make a big difference. Be careful.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
22 Apr 2014 00:23 #27416 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Outer U joint Bearing
Hi,

For what they're worth, these are links that I found when searching for info on front wheel bearings. And, in the cobweb-filled depths of my memory is a thought that the Cord front wheel bearings were special in that they were "tight" bearings--ie, no slop at all. 30 years ago they were hard to find. Now--anyone's guess.

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/phpbb2/viewto ... nt+bearing

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/phpbb2/viewto ... nt+bearing

www.jsasoc.com/Family_archive/Ar ... %20810.pdf

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Apr 2014 22:15 #27415 by 1748 S

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/827734.cloudwaysapps.com/wqvptpacqq/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 304. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Apr 2014 05:43 #27411 by 1748 S
Outer U joint Bearing was created by 1748 S
I found my outer u joint bearings needing replacement. They are New Departure 5209 double roller ball bearings. I see an ebay seller on the Cord sales forum had one and is asking $125.00 for it. So I looked online and have found them for as low as around $9.00 and as high as $450.00. Whats with that. What bearing do I need. I see plenty of the 5209 W bearings but don't know what all the suffix letters mean. I have looked up what C1, C2 and so on means. I understand we need the C3 bearing fit so thats not an issue. It would be great if someone could tell me what bearing I need. Bearing numbers prefixs and suffixs are an interesting scinece. It gets plenty deep. What I'm finding is all leather seals on the sealing surfaces so far. If I'm reading my odometer correctly it tells me my car has about 4900 miles on it. At least thats what the top row of numbers are telling me. Then below that is the trip numbers.