Skip to main content

Heater Install Pics....

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Apr 2014 22:15 #27365 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Heater Install Pics....
Thanks for the great design of your firewall and the heater mounting points. That is what I have. My water inlet and outlet is on different areas but its still the same demensions as yours. I was not doubting Henry telling me I had an original heater. I was interested in the mounting areas and why mine looked the way they do. I have been welding up extra holes in the firewal too. I guess the hot wire to feed power to the heater comes off the hot side of the ignition switch. So when the engine is off the heater is off also.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• william057
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
08 Apr 2014 03:37 #27351 by william057
Replied by william057 on topic Heater-Firewall Dimensions
I just completed a drawing with dimensions for the heater location of the 4 mounting holes and the 2 Core tubes that go through the firewall.

I can e-mail anyone that would like to see the drill pattern for the firewall if needed.

The drawing is based on my heater unit originally installed on my 1752. Only 4 units after 1748. Based on the examination of the holes drilled, they were not the most precise operation for installing.

Bill Heisler

Bill Heisler - 1936 Cord

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
08 Apr 2014 00:35 #27350 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Heater Install Pics....
Hello:

This is a great exchange on the subject of 810-812 Heaters.

As most know, the heater, compass, driving lights are just a few of the Cord factory approved accessories that Cord dealers installed in the cars after reaching the dealerships around the world. Because these same dealers were quite independent, many installed pieces that were not in Cord's accessory line up. Multi-line dealers often installed accessories that were designed for entirely different cars. Two of my cars had the common accessory go-to gasoline heater made by Southwind. What sometimes happens is that an owner will discover that the car that they own or are working on appears to have a feature that is different from standard but also appears to be original. The snag is that the a non-Cord part installed on one of our cars in say 1950, looks pretty darn original as a result of 65 years of use and patina.

The EA Laboratories Aerotherm heater is the only accepted heater for all models of 1936-37 Cord automobiles at this point. As such, they are the only officially documented units for show purposes. I wouldn't want to speculate what the Engineering Notes were referring to but would guess it may have dealt with suppliers and not manufacturers.

If anyone has any outside documentation from the factory that could help us develop a more complete understanding and knowledge of these components, we would all benefit from sharing that history.

Mark

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
07 Apr 2014 02:27 #27346 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Original Cord heaters
While reviewing the Cord service bulletins on another subject I happened upon #13 dated 11/16/36 discussing hot water heaters and defrosters. It indicated that they were having a problem with their supplier for these items. They were switching to a new supplier that could supply at the rate they required. They felt the new heater was superior to the previous one used and now came in both a "Deluxe and Custom" model. They didn't indicate the name of either supplier but the model names for the new one matches the ones made by Aerotherm shown in the accessory catalog.
This leads to the conclusion that there are numerous "original" Cord heaters installed prior to this date that are not Aerotherm. Who was the manufacturer and what did these heaters look like?
Since the heater in 1748S was verified by an established expert years ago to be original and was probably produced before the above date, could you post a picture of what it looks like as it most likely is not an Aerotherm.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2014 01:05 #26855 by 1748 S
Heater Install Pics.... was created by 1748 S
So I have been working on my heater and I have the firewall diagram from stan. Well my heater does not attach to the firewall like his picture of the holes shows. My body has 4 bolt holes and two water hose holes but they do not appear to be what Stan's firewall picture of all the needed holes for everything the Cord has. That pic has only three bolt holes thru the firewall. Can anyone post a picture of how their heater connects thru the firewall from the engine compartment side. Thanks for any heat. BTW my heater is what came in the Cord. Henry Portz saw it way back in the mid 80's when we were trading parts..