Skip to main content

Head Gaskets

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jan 2014 03:15 #26620 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Head Gaskets
I agree with Dan. Auburn has the same issue with 35-36, AL. heads. I have been told if the gasket has both sides copper paint the side that goes against the Al. head to keep the copper away from the head.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dan DiTullio
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2014 12:34 #26611 by Dan DiTullio
Replied by Dan DiTullio on topic Head Gaskets
pac32

I would suggest putting the copper side of the head gasket against the block. You do not want to leave Copper against Aluminum heads due to the galvanic corrosion problems.
Dan

• Dan DiTullio
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2014 12:33 #26610 by Dan DiTullio
Replied by Dan DiTullio on topic Head Gaskets
pac32

I would suggest putting the copper side of the head gasket against the block. You do not want to leave Copper against Aluminum heads due to the galvanic corrosion problems.
Dan

• pac32
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Jan 2014 22:37 #26605 by pac32
Head Gaskets was created by pac32
I am back into my Cord 812 engine again, took it apart last year to fix cracks in the sides of the engine. I ended up stitching new side plates in the block. The side plates were made by JK Howell and I got them from Stan (thanks Stan). When I reassembled the engine last year I broke the block as I was torqueing down the heads. One of the head bolts cracked the deck, the crack went through to the outside of the block and also toward the inside to a cylinder that had previously been sleeved. I am in process in pulling out that sleeve and preparing to stitch underneath it.
My question is about head gaskets. The new head gaskets I have a copper side and a steel side. I was told to put the copper side towards the heads of the engine, this is what I did last year. The shop doing the sleeveing work thinks that the copper side should face the block. Their reasoning is that the copper is bent around the gasket at each cylinder to the other side of the head gasket and by putting to copper side down it will seal better against the block and the steel side with the copper bent around would be up against the head.

What do you think?