Skip to main content

810-12 radio doesn't work hooked up to original antenna

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
10 Jan 2014 13:46 #26628 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

A previous owner of my 810/812 1509A installed a traditional stick antenna to the driver's side of the cowl. To his point of view, performance trumped originality.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
10 Jan 2014 01:17 #26625 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Cord Radio
Is the "cat whisker" properly set? Maybe you need a new (1936) Galena crystal? Is the static in stereo?

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

More
05 Dec 2013 04:41 #26398 by 5-ht
Replied by 5-ht on topic Cord Radio Antenna
Is the radio in question a Crosley or a Philco?

There is a procedure for 'matching' the antenna electrically to the radio.
This has to be done after the radio is installed in the vehicle as there is no accurate way to tweak in on the repair bench.

The Crosley has two variable capacitors that need to be adjusted, the Philco has a choice between two capacitor settings (not variable) as well as a second variable capacitor.

I have both of these radios and *somewhere* have the actual procedure for matching the antenna, at least I know I've seen it for the Crosley models.

Let me know if you don't have success on your own and I'll see what I can find.

Mark

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
30 Nov 2013 11:28 #26351 by oldbanger71
On ebay you can buy , what is missing on your Cord ; its called a radio antenna resonnator, which is a small box to which the antenna is hooked up and brings the Antenna to counteraction vibration to the normal interfearing vibration with the car. Original manufactoror was Scintilla and is made in 6,3 v version for your car or for later the 12,6v version. Just make sure you have good positive charging and perfect ground straps fitted. They are rare as hennes teeth, so good luck finding one, 'cause i keep mine for my Cord when its on the road , sometime in the future. By the way you might have better luck in searching for a 1971 item built by HSB. Best regards Philipp.

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Bill McLaughlin
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2013 13:41 #26346 by Bill McLaughlin
Replied by Bill McLaughlin on topic 810-12 radio doesn't work hooked up to original antenna
I found the same situation with another, un-named car. Then realized that their was no reception inside the garage. Try it outside.

• Bill McLaughlin
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2013 13:40 #26345 by Bill McLaughlin
Replied by Bill McLaughlin on topic 810-12 radio doesn't work hooked up to original antenna
I found the same situation with another, un-named car. Then realized that their was no reception inside the garage. Try it outside.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2013 03:20 #26343 by mikespeed35
Jim

Mike Huffman

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2013 03:20 #26342 by mikespeed35
Jim uses his wife Helen, and for really good reception he adds Kelly.
My Auburn uses the same antenna as the Cord and mine only gets hespanic stations for some reason.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Visitor
28 Nov 2013 17:11 #26339 by
Pete,
I suggest installing a mechanics creeper under the car, when you want to listen to the radio put someone under there and let them hang on.
Jim

P.S. Sorry Pete I couldn't resist.

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2013 16:31 #26335 by stroker
Gents- We have my original Cord radio working really great on the bench, but installed in the car and hooked up to the original (isolated) antenna with a new tested cable nothing! However, when someone wriggles under and grabs the antenna "voila" we get good sound! We're stumped-can anyone help us?

Pete Rhoads

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H