Skip to main content

I have shifting woes too

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2014 03:00 #27723 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Shifts like new
Since I started this thread in December my body has rejected my gall bladder with some complications so just around to staraightening out my shifting woes.
My mechanic and I pulled the vacuum canister. Disasembly was trickly, hard to get the end off. Once the end was off we found the piston almost glued to the inside of the canister. The previous owner had used white (lithium?) grease to lube the the neoprene seal. The grease had turned to stone. After many tries to pull the piston out we pumped the canister with high pressure air and blew the piston cross the shop with a requisite loud BANG.
Cleaned and polished the canister interior, lubed the neoprene seal w/ silicone grease reassembled and everything works as new. Ok, a little grinding getting into first and reverse but not badat all.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• goneflyin
  • Registered
More
12 Dec 2013 15:14 #26474 by goneflyin
Replied by goneflyin on topic I have shifting woes too

wcoye wrote: Don, Pat and Tom,
Thanks for your council! Will let you know how it all plays out.
Bill

Any news Bill?

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2013 05:11 #26209 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic I have shifting woes too
Don, Pat and Tom,
Thanks for your council! Will let you know how it all plays out.
Bill

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• goneflyin
  • Registered
More
29 Oct 2013 16:33 #26205 by goneflyin
Replied by goneflyin on topic I have shifting woes too
All good points!

Bill, I've found that the most common points of problems are:

--cross-shaft interlock switch (rebuild or replace)
--rubber valve seals in the solenoid pack (replace)
--corrosion and poor connections in the housings of the solenoid pack (clean up, solder ground jumpers in, etc)
--vacuum leaks in the cross shaft diaphragm housing (replace seal, diaphragm)
--clutch switch condition and wiring connections(replace, rebuild)
--clutch pedal operated mechanical interlock on the side of the trans (make sure it's even there!!)

I'd address all of these right off the get-go. If they aren't problems now, they probably will be soon!

Just my exp.

Have fun with it- they are a mechanical marvel! (I love this stuff)

Don

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
28 Oct 2013 15:17 #26200 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Cord shifting
I find that with the transmission cover off and front wheels off the ground you can do a lot of troubleshooting just as the car is driven. Get your wife or someone who doesn't mind shifting the car while running with wheels off the ground, and shift the gears in all different patterns and watch what happens with the main cylinder and the cross shift cylinders. When you see a problem making a complete shift wiggle the wires at the cross shift switch, solenoid bank, main shift cylinder swith, and the firewall plug. Many times this causes a completed shift, and tells you where to find the problem. My wife gets bored quickly, so I usually call my son. As Tim and Tom have mentioned, do a thorough wiring check. Other mechanical issues may be main cylinder arm on cross shaft or dogbone loose, main cylinder rod rubbing on transmission cover, misadjusted interlock, vacuum leaks, etc. It takes time to get these car right, but once your there, they are great. I have had a lot of trouble with original cross shift switches and replace them with a modern unit I make with limit switches.
Good luck....

Pat Leahy

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
28 Oct 2013 06:10 #26199 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Start
Good luck and if these don't work ask again

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Oct 2013 05:18 #26198 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic I have shifting woes too
Thanks Tim and Tom. She decided not to start at all this weekend. Sigh. So once I get her started I'll give your suggestions a try.
Bill

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
26 Oct 2013 19:00 #26193 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic shift problem
Tim's suggestions are very good. Before doing his suggestions you should first make sure that the vacuum cylinder is tight on it's triangular mount. There should be no movement back and forth at that location. The rubber grommets need to be compressed with no slack. If need be, install washers to make it very tight. If it is not tight then all the rest of the adjustments will not work.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
26 Oct 2013 14:55 #26192 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Shifting woes
Hi Bill: start with the easy stuff first. I'd remove the transmission cover, then start the engine (with the clutch stick depressing the clutch). Go to the front of the car (selector in neutral), and try pulling/pushing the main shift lever. If you have good vacuun, you should get substantial pushback from the shift lever. Remember, in neutral, you should have vacuum on both sides of the piston. If that checks out ok, go to the published electrical checks. I'd do the solenoid check first, as that is quite easy and straight forward. Have a strong charged battery; disconnect startix; disconnect electric fuel pump(if used); clutch in; ignition on; place both the cockpit selector switch and the transmission (manually) in the gear you are testing. That should keep you occupied for awhile. Let us know how it turns out.
CORDially, Tim.

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2013 23:36 #26191 by wcoye
I have shifting woes too was created by wcoye
Hi all!
I've been following the forum shifting discussions hoping to learn the meaning of life....oops, I mean how to sort out my situation: Backing out of the garage is ok. If I put her in N and go close the garage door it's a hassle getting back into reverse. Once out in the street 1st is usually a piece of cake but shifting to 2nd I have to hold the clutch in forever and it's a crapshoot if second will take. Often I have to try putting her in first and/or third, sometimes reving the engine helps. Once I do get into second, 3rd and 4th are usually(but not always) reliable.
I'm working up the nerve to in there and try to figure all this out. Josh Malks had offered to help walk me through the shifting. Sadly, that won't happen.
So, all you out in Cord-land, what do you suggest I do that won't be disastrous? Does anyone know somebody in the Silicon Valley area or surrounds who might be willing to mentor me?
Always happy to provide beer and pizza!
Thanks in advance, Bill

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A