Skip to main content

Starting/shifting fun 3...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Oct 2013 10:07 #26154 by
Well, solved my latest Cord puzzle.
Battery was low.In neutral system voltage dropped to 8,5 V ,just enough to work the 12 V startix and great for the 6V starter.
In gear the voltage dropped to 7,2 V ,(shifting takes 10+ amps) not enough for the startix.

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
13 Oct 2013 08:36 #26089 by
Replied by on topic Starting/shifting fun 3...
Thank you Jim, Just trying to keep things interesting :) .
I'm checking your wild guess after looking for the same problem within the clutch switch. Hopefully somewhere next week.
Sadly this 12 V startix does not have a starting button.

Thanks for taking the time think about this problem.
JJ told me there is progress on the manifolds,great!
Frank

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Oct 2013 14:12 #26070 by
Frank and JJ,

You sure know how to come up with some interesting problems on this car. First the startix usually have a button on the side that you can push to engage the contact and start the car, it's a lot easier then taking apart the front end. Of coarse this only works if you have another person with you when it happens.

I'm taking a wild guess but you may have a bad electrical connection somewhere between the clutch switch and the startix (or thru the startix to ground). I'm thinking when you are in neutral there is no electrical flow to the shifting system, so all the electricity goes to the startix and you can start it. When you are in gear there is an electrical draw thru the shift solenoids and you may not be getting enough power to the startix to pull in the solenoid to engage the starter.

With the car off and in neutral try starting it and measure the voltage at the startix on the wire from the clutch switch. Then try measure it again with the car in gear when you try and start it. If there is a significant lower voltage start looking for a connection with high resistance across it.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Jim

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2013 14:13 #26068 by
Gary,thanks for your reply.If one of the solenoids is burnt out I would expect a shifting problem
or a total starting failure.Shifting is (mostly)ok and the starting problem is only with the car in gear.
I am replacing the clutch switch anyway.
Frank

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Oct 2013 17:00 #26065 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Starting/shifting fun 3...
You may want to check the 6 volt solenoids and see if the 12 volts burned one out. Also check the clutch switch for function. Hope this helps.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Oct 2013 15:33 #26064 by
Hi
Another little Cord puzzle.
The car will start when the gearbox is in neutral.
The car will not start when the box is in any gear.
Stalling the car in gear means having to remove the gearbox cover and setting the
gearlevers to neutral manually.(No fun in traffic)before starting.

Clutch switch problem?
Car is converted to 12 V with a 12 V startix.
Gearbox solenoids are 6V.