radial size

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2013 02:17 #25999 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic radial size
Thanks gents,
Since you both have had issues with your left rear tire, I think I'll need to have the centering of my rear axle checked out....and maybe I will need to try to find a slightly smaller tire although I sure like the big look of my current tires :(

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2013 20:03 #25997 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Radials
I forgot to mention that the radials will not fit under the trunk shelf as it is too thick. I use a 6.50x16 as I don't see much of a possibility of having a flat. Even if I did, I could still drive the car with the bias ply tire. I could have raise the trunk shelf but a Westchester doesn't have enough trunk spaces as it is.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2013 19:52 #25996 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Radials
I'm running a set of P215/75R16 Goodyear Wranglers ST which I got through Diamond Back a few years ago. They have a white wall face that was put on at a later date, probably by Diamond Back. I had a bit of trouble with the left tire rubbing on the inside of fender which required that I reshape the fender. I think it may have been damaged at an early time and not been reshaped properly. They sure made a difference in the way it rides and handled.

• GarryMorgan
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2013 17:10 #25994 by GarryMorgan
Replied by GarryMorgan on topic radial size
Bill-I just switched to Cokers (only because of availability here) 6.50Rs but suggest you check one first. I found a problem on my left rear side where it did not clear the back edge of the rear wheel when installed. I measured and the axle was out by a full inch left versus right. There was not enough take up on the fender brace so I opted to move the axle. Pain in the butt! Diamond backs might be different dimensions. Incidentally I found a new problem with the radials after I tossed my old bias tires I found out the radials also don't fit the pockets in my side-mount. Its a good thing we do this as a hobby.

1937 812 Sidemount Custom Beverly

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2013 03:43 #25988 by wcoye
radial size was created by wcoye
Hi all,
I just scored a set of heavy wheels! (Thanks Kip!) And now it's time to upgrade to radials. I'm currently riding on size 6.50-16 Firestone wide white
bias plys. How does this size translate to radial? Is everyone sold on Diamond Backs.....or?
I appreciate your help and opinions.

Thanx, Bill

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award