Skip to main content

A Face with the Name...

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2013 15:13 #26103 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Re: Cord Photo

JimArneson wrote: She told me that the image below pretty much "sums up" her memories of how many trips in the Cords went.

Funny! My grandparents abandoned their Cord LeBaron limousine by the side of the road when it broke down on the way to the Los Angeles airport.

My grandmother found it years later in the Harrah's Automobile Collection. It is now on permanent display in the National Automobile Museum in Reno, NV.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2013 14:53 #26102 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic A Face with the Name...
Hi,

Re: the flat tire above. How'd they remove the wheel cover without destroying it?

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2013 14:31 #26098 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic A Face with the Name...
These are great photos Jim. Thanks for posting them. The Skoglund Cord is still hear in town owned by a non ACD member.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2013 15:53 #26060 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic A Face with the Name...
Flat tires happened on all cars during this eara in time. No bigger deal being its on a Cord but if it was a cracked rim. Well thats differant. Nice to see the guys working wearing suites and jackets. That was a better time compared to todays times.

• JimArneson
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2013 13:53 #26059 by JimArneson
Replied by JimArneson on topic Cord Photo
I've been talking with my mom (Ruth Arneson) as we go through the car photos she uncovered recently. As you might imagine her view of my dad's Cords is a little different than his. She told me that the image below pretty much "sums up" her memories of how many trips in the Cords went.

Jim Arneson

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2013 15:08 #26039 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic A Face with the Name...
Very cool photos - thanks for sharing!

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• JimArneson
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2013 13:30 #26037 by JimArneson
Replied by JimArneson on topic More Photos
I have just started going through a big collection of photos that my mother recently found that include many images of the cars may dad worked on in the 1940's and 50's. The repair work he did on Cord transmissions actually played a pivotal role in the establishment of our family business (Professional Instruments Company). It also brought him in contact with a bunch of interesting people and cars. I'm going to continue uploading photos to an album I will provide a link to below. Please feel free to download the images and use them as you wish.

jwpictures.smugmug.com/Cars/Ted-and-his-Cords/

A cool shot of a Tucker Engine & Cord Transmission with the Tucker Car in the background. The album has a few more shots of two Tuckers. He also left behind very detailed notes on the work performed and the owners of the cars.

Jim Arneson

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Oct 2013 16:35 #26029 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic A Face with the Name...
Thank you for sharing some great pictures of your Dad and these fine cars.

• JimArneson
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Oct 2013 13:41 #26027 by JimArneson
Replied by JimArneson on topic Minneapolis Cords
I added names of the owners of the Cords pictured lined up in the street across from my Grandparents home in Minneapolis MN. My Dad (Ted Arneson) and his friends (Vern Skogland & Jerry Stageberg) were almost certainly working on the transmissions in these cars. My dad eventually bought the "Warner" Cord, selling it later. The photo was taken in 1947.

Jim Arneson

More
02 Oct 2013 22:40 #26021 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic A Face with the Name...
Great photos!

• JimArneson
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Oct 2013 20:09 #26020 by JimArneson
Replied by JimArneson on topic A few more Photos...
A few images of my dad and the Cords he worked on as a young man. I think these photos were taken in the (very) early 1950's. The Cords were almost certainly cars he and his friends were working on in their fledgling transmission repair business. The black Custom Beverly in the last photo is the one I currently own today. We have a lot of additional photos taken during this period including a few of the two Tuckers he re-built transmissions for. I'll post more as I get things more organized.

First a photo of Ted and his dad (my grandfather) standing next to a Phaeton on the street in front of the family home.

Next a pair of Cords sedans in the same spot.

And finally... Three Cords linded up on on Knox Ave. across the street from the family home.

• JimArneson
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2013 20:19 #25810 by JimArneson
A Face with the Name... was created by JimArneson
After posting the messages here related to my dad, Ted Arneson, I thought I should post a couple of photos of him with his Cords. The second photo was probably taken in the late 1980's in Jerry Stageberg's body shop in Minneapolis. He bought the second car in 1950. I plan to keep this car and hope to bring it to Auburn next year.

Jim Arneson