Skip to main content

Ted Arneson Collection...

More
21 Aug 2013 09:26 #25767 by Kay
Replied by Kay on topic Cord L-29 camper
What a fascinating collection!

I never before saw a Cord L-29 camper or even heard about one. Looks as if it was converted quite some decades ago. Is anything known about it's sad history?

Regards
Kay

-since 2012: Cord 812 S/C Custom Beverly
-Palm Beach Tan/Deep Maroon/matching #
-unrestored " Sleeping Beauty " condition
-same owner in Southern California '49-'12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JimArneson
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2013 13:29 #25742 by JimArneson
Ted Arneson Collection... was created by JimArneson
After reading my last two posting a few times (and getting a few private messages), I decided to put together this "summary" of where we are at regarding my dad's collection of old cars and parts. I bought his entire collection of cars, parts, models, books, and related items from my mother and his estate. I did this to take the burden of deciding what to do with the collection off my mom's shoulders. The collection includes 48 vehicles and a couple of warehouses full of parts. My dad collected everything from the Cords to a 1954 LaFrance Amarican Firetruck. He was mostly "stuck" in the late 1930's. The first link below shows the cars we are putting in the auction. They include some nice "survivor" Cadillacs, Lasalles, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles as well as a bunch of "parts cars" he bought to salvage items he needed. The collection of parts includes items for not only the Cords but many of his other cars as well.

jwpictures.smugmug.com/Cars/Vanderbrink-Auction-Cars

I've participated in this passion of his completely! My youth (I'm 59 years old) was filled to overflowing with "big Adventures" as we traveled to collect these treasures. He and I drove one of the Oldsmobiles home from Nothern Minnesota in about 1965 after he spotted it in a gas station on a family vacation (much to my mothers dismay). This trip included a two mile walk to a small town for water to fill a leaky radiator at 2:00am. I don't exactly know why but I can't yet part with it...

Along with the Oldsmobile I am keeping two Cords. A 1936 Cord 810 Sedan I purchased from the Brom family in Rochester MN anbout 12 years ago. This car arived with a Supercharged engine (almost certainly not the correct engine) and was restored in a kind of haphazard manner. I am working to rebuild an engine and transmission for this car and hope to have it back on the road in the near future. I have a whole bunch of questions about this car
including why does the ID plate on the firewall read...

Model 810
S/N 1544A
Engine FC 3099

Supercharged engine S/N 3099 is indeed in the car but it cannot be right?

I am also keeping my dads prized 1937 Cord 812 (Westchester) supercharged Sedan. This is a complete car in pretty much original condition (it was painted black at some time).

We are carefull rebuilding the original engine and transmission for this car as well. I am really challenged with what exactly to do with this car. A part of me would like to tear it down and do a "frame off" restoration but another part thinks keeping it "original" makes more sense. I hope to come back here and get advice and wise counsel from time to time.

Respectfully... Jim Arneson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.