Skip to main content

Engine / Clutch problem

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
15 Aug 2013 15:08 #25730 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Engine / Clutch problem
The two lines loosely connect into the bottom of the air filter. There should be holes in the bottom of your air filter housing if it is an original piece.

Pat Leahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2013 18:23 #25727 by Randall
Replied by Randall on topic CLUTCH
Well I may have figured it out.
I have a vacuum line that goes from the oil filler to the transmission.
I thinking from the photos of correct set-ups that I need to cut that vacuum line an stick one end from the oil filler into the air filter.
Then take the other end ( Coming fro the tranny) and also bend it up into the air filter.

My next question is how do these lines attach to the air filter.
Is there a brass fitting in the bottom of the air filter or do the just loosely
fit in a hole in the bottom of the air filter?
Thanks- I think my problem may be solved soon with your help.
I can't wait to get out my plumbing tools.

Randy

Randall

• Randall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2013 01:10 #25723 by Randall
Replied by Randall on topic Clutch problems
Thank you guys for all of your help.
I hope I am not getting oil from the engine and the transmission.
I have a supercharged engine and I think that I have a photo of one in my cord archives I'll have to pull out.
Thanks again

Randall

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
13 Aug 2013 19:53 #25720 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic oil on clutch
It would appear that your engine venting system is not factory complete. Is your engine S/C or a standard one? I could email you a picture of mine if your's is the standard engine or line you up with a picture of the S/C one.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
13 Aug 2013 19:11 #25718 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic oil cap
The Cord has a cap with a diverter flap. The cap is mounted on a aluminum casting neck from the intake manifold. There should be a brass fitting on the side of this casting with a 90 degree elbow and a piece of 3/8" copper tubing running up to an opening in the air cleaner. This pulls a vacuum in the crankcase to pull blowby out and send it through the carb. I have a Westchester that had some blowby problems and I finally taped the oil filler cap to the casting to seal it off, otherwise I had some oil mist come out from around the cap while driving. It is my understanding that the cap should allow some intake of air and not be a tight seal. I found that the engine can seep some oil out into the clutch housing. Even though it comes out behind the flywheel the turbulence can blow it all over the clutch housing. The transmision can also push gear oil into this area.

Pat Leahy

• Randall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Aug 2013 01:40 #25716 by Randall
Replied by Randall on topic Clutch problems
Well , I checked the oil filler cap and there is no flap. It is just a cap that can not seal the oil filler- no flap to create a seal. I hooked up a vacuum gauge and the car idles just barely in the normal vacuum range. If I rev the car up- the vacuum decreases. If i move the distributor to see if the vacuum changes it didn't - unless I rotated the distributor alot.

I will check the compression to see if the engine is shot.

There is no vacuum line from the oil filler to the carb. I am curious as to how a vacuum line from the oil filler cap to the carb would create vacuum in the crankcase because the oil filler is open to the atmosphere? However, if I need one I do not know where to connect the line as there does not seem to be a place a vacuum line to the oil filler cap.
Thnks for the suggestion on the gasket for the trnsmission, Because I not very knowledgeable I do not know what you mean by making a gasket and placing it where- I don't know what the clutch cover is. If you are talking about the plate with the hole on it on the bottom of the clutch- I already made a gasket to fit to that- it did not help.

Thanks for all of your help.

Randall

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
13 Aug 2013 01:18 #25715 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic oil leak
Mike could have a point there. You might want to make up a gasket to fit under the cover of the clutch housing to try to keep oil from getting into the housing, if my suggestions above don't help. Cords always leak oil particularly from the transmission oil pump. I've never seen a Cord that didn't. I'm not sure that the spinning flywheel might not distribute oil all over the inside of the bell housing. Seems very possible to me.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Aug 2013 19:41 #25714 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine / Clutch problem
Oil leaking out the rear seal usually runs down the back of the crankcase and does not get on the clutch. Not sure on 810-12 but oil leaking out the trans. might. That leak would be on the clutch side not the flywheel side thus might get on the clutch.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Randall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2013 01:09 #25705 by Randall
Replied by Randall on topic Clutch
Thanks, I am not an expert and did not realize that the engine had no rear seal.
I just assumed that it did.

Randy

Randall

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
10 Aug 2013 04:20 #25702 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic oil on my clutch
I would check the oil filler cap to see if the small flap inside is shut. If it is shut, the engine can build up pressure and force oil out onto the flywheel. If it is shut just pry it open a bit. If your engine is worn and has blow by that might be your problem. The cure is an overhaul of the engine. The engine did not use any kind of seal, it relied on engine vacuum to keep the oil in the engine. The copper vacuum line from the oil filer tube has to be connected to the air cleaner to put suction on the crank case. I have never heard of anyone putting an oil seal in a Cord engine, though someone might have done so. Hope this helps and good luck.

• Randall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Aug 2013 02:29 #25701 by Randall
Engine / Clutch problem was created by Randall
Well, I'm back.
My Clutch keeps giving me problems. It keeps grabbing badly in first gear.
I can fix the problem temporarily by going under the car and spraying brake cleaner on the clutch pad. The car works great for a while and starts grabbing again. Also when I take off the inspection plate it has oil in it. Two mechanics think it is a leaking rear engine seal and then oil is getting on the clutch. What do you think?

My question is, is there a rubber replacement for a rear oil seal or do i use a rope seal? Is there an easy way to do this?

Not looking forward to doing this!
thanks,
Randy

Randall