Skip to main content

Bell Housing Noise

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Aug 2013 19:28 #25712 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Bell Housing Noise
I don't know for sure with 810-12 Cords but with L-29 Cords never run the car with it on a hoist. You will destroy the cones that center the inner U joints.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
08 Aug 2013 05:54 #25692 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic noise
My first guess would be your throw out bearing is going out.You have a clutch manufactured by Long in your Cord. One of the features of a Long clutch is that when you increase the engine speed the arms on your clutch increase the pressure on the clutch disc. This will force the arms of the clutch to move out. When this happens it decreases the clearance between the clutch arms and the throw out bearing. This is a good feature as it puts more pressure on the disc and prevents it from slipping. You state that the noise is there only when you increase the engine speed which tells me it is probably what is happening. I suggest you check this out by increasing the clearance on your clutch so that you have to push the pedal down farther before the clutch is disengaged. If you don't hear the noise when you jack the car up then the throw out bearing is your problem. You might not have had enough clearance on your clutch causing the throw out bearing to be engaged when you were driving. You might drive it if the noise isn't there when you jack it up. Your choice and good luck.

• GarryMorgan
  • Registered
More
08 Aug 2013 00:14 #25691 by GarryMorgan
Replied by GarryMorgan on topic hoist and rattle
Don't sweat the swing arms- I have rebuilt my entire car on a two post hoist for the last 20+ years- it just touched the ground this year- I lift just under the joint for the firewall connection and the rear spring shackles-a couple of jack post as well for personal comfort when I am really turfing on the front of the car.

I had a similar rattle some time ago- hard to diagnose from far away but I had loose (destroyed) bearings for the clutch actuator shaft where it enters and exits the bell housing- substituted oil lite bushings.

1937 812 Sidemount Custom Beverly

• Dennis Jolicoeur
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Aug 2013 20:16 #25690 by Dennis Jolicoeur
Bell Housing Noise was created by Dennis Jolicoeur
Hi everyone,

While driving my 810 Westchester home from a Concours Show last Sunday, I noticed a new noise coming from the engine compartment as I drove in my garage. It is kind of a rattling noise when you rev the engine, you hardly hear it when you are driving. I took it to my mechanic today and we jacked it up, put jack stands under it and we climbed under it with the engine running. The noise is seems to be coming from the bell housing. You only hear it when you rev the engine just a little. The car shifts fine, but you definite hear the noise when you drive off. Any ideas? I was wondering about the pressure plate or clutch but remember it shifts fine. My mechanic wants to put it up on a lift but is a little concerned using a modern lift with swing arms. He is not sure where to place the arms under the Cord. Looks like I will not be bring the Cord to Auburn this year.

Dennis Jolicoeur