Skip to main content

810 Westchester over heating

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2013 16:16 #25763 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 810 Westchester over heating
Distilled water is the best type of coolant fluid for heat transfer. What anti freeze does is changes the boil point of the water. I run nothing but distilled water in all the cars and trucks plus a maximum of maybe 30% high quality anti freeze. It actually transfers heat better than a 50 50 mix.. I ruined a few radiaters in my diesels because of the tap water mineral dropout. The distilled water has no minerals to drop out so the system runs cleaner longer. Think about a tea pot that been used for a long time. As the water boils in them the vapor leaves the pot. Whats left is the hard minerals. No amount of soft water is going to give you the same results as true distilled water. If you find you need a little more that water try adding Redline Water Wetter. Or check out what many street rods run to keep their engines cool. There are a host of water wetters out there by many differant makers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2013 02:01 #25756 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic CORD OVERHEATING
DO YOU RUN COOLANT IN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD?

• HistoryBuff
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2013 01:43 #25755 by HistoryBuff
Replied by HistoryBuff on topic Electric fan
Tried adding an electric fan to an 812 unsupercharged a few years ago; didn't help. I suspect the challenge is that the heat builds up under that lovely coffin nose, and the electric fan is not powerful enough to clear the air. This is supported by the rather dramatic temperature reduction that occurs when the hood (bonnet) is opened. (rigged it up at one point so that you could drive at low speed with the hood open about 3 inches; amazing difference, but lots of odd looks during parades). At driving speed there is enough turbulence to clear the air, so no overheating.

They were meant to be driven.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
27 Jun 2013 05:01 #25496 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 810 Westchester over heating
Dennis, are you using antifreeze or water as a coolant? If you are using antifreeze try water. It will run aproxamitly 15 degrees lower.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
26 Jun 2013 19:15 #25493 by xjn001
Replied by xjn001 on topic Evans coolant,any others like this?
Are there other coolant brands like this evans brand? Evans claims higher heat transfer at the elevated temps, but you must have the radiator, coolant pump and engine block all working at optimum specs. If you have cooling problems because of rust in the block or some of the radiator core dirty or coolant pump not working properly--this coolant is not a cure. I would try this on my fresh rebuild.

• tractiondk
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2013 12:20 #25492 by tractiondk
Replied by tractiondk on topic 810 Westchester over heating
Maybe this was a solution www.evanscooling.com/

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2013 09:46 #25491 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic 810 Westchester over heating
You could hang a fan just in front of the radiator, but it would need to be slid into some fixture and you need a auxhillary plug that is permanently fitted to the car with a inside switch. Not big trouble but the fan will draw a lot current from your batterie, so you better carry also a batterieboosterpack, regards Philipp

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2013 18:27 #25484 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic 810 Westchester over heating
The car's heater used in high blower speed mode, with the car's windows open, has worked well for me several times to lower overheating due to slow moving traffic situations.
You might be shocked at how fast the heater used in this manner will lower your system's radiator & engine temps.

I really don't like the electric fan idea ~~~

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Dennis Jolicoeur
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2013 17:21 #25483 by Dennis Jolicoeur
810 Westchester over heating was created by Dennis Jolicoeur
Hi Everyone, I just went to Concours this past Sunday, big show that you had to be invited to. The entrance to the Concours was long and slow. I watched the temp gage go out of site. I finally got onto the show field and the radiator boiled over not too bad but I was a little worried. Since getting home with no problems I have been looking at how I could install a temporary electric fan that could be removed easy. Something that could be put in and out on hot days and removed at a show. Without reinventing the wheel I was wondering if any of you have done this already. On a good note my 810 Westchester took "Best Pre-War Closed" trophy, a beautiful crystal trophy similar to the ACD Reunion trophy.

Dennis Jolicoeur