Skip to main content

FC eng. carburetor backfire

• Charvey
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
31 Mar 2013 22:58 #24905 by Charvey
Replied by Charvey on topic FC eng. carburetor backfire
Thanks for the suggestions, I believe I have solved the problem, I have fabricated some new larger main carburetor jets, giving a richer crusing mixture to help prevent the lean backfire, drove it about 10 miles and seems OK----keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again

Charles Harvey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• landmark
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2013 14:32 #24839 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Re: FC eng. carburetor backfire

Charvey wrote: Help! I'm running out of ideas to fix this. My 812SC has an intermittet carb. backfire while accelerating through 2000 rpm or higher, usually if the acceleration is quick. I have rebuilt the carb., set the accel. pump rod on the longer stroke. Checked fuel pump output, new fuel filter, drained the tank & installed fresh gas. I went through the entire ignition sys. New plugs, wires, points & cond. cap & rotor, checked advance weights, set timing. Compression check is good (within 10 lbs of each other). Manifold vacuum is 15.5 @ idle with a steady needle. Checked for vacuum leaks. Any ideas? I greatly appreciate your help

Hello,

first of all, my english is not perfect and I hope what I try to express will be understandable.

As the others posters wrote before it could have many reasons that the engine fires back.

But as you discribed the problem (backfire appears during "quick/hard" acceleration) I would guess it could be a problem with the ignition distributor ( advance weights and/or its retract-springs).

On higher (increasing) rpm an engine needs an earlier ignition-timing than in idle-running, the (centrifugal-) advance-weights manage to adjust the timing.
On acceleration the rotating advance weights "move out" and put the ignition timing to an "earlier timing level" and when the RPM are reduced (to idle running), the retract-springs pull the weights back into the idle-running position (-> "later" timing).
If there is something wrong with the weight-mechanism (e.g.: lame/old retract springs) the ignition would go to fast on the earlier ignition time with the consequence -> Ignition on open intake valves.

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2013 12:28 #24838 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic backfiring
Had the exact symptom of backfiring on a Chevy, did everything, exhaust intake gaskets, carb, points, everything possible. I asked a friend what could I do and he instantly said get a new distributor. Mine looked fine but got and installed a new one. Guess what, no backfire. It must have had a bad bronze shaft bushing that caused a wobble. Worth a try.

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2013 00:52 #24830 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic FC eng. carburetor backfire
Could a sticky intake valve be hanging open from time to time ?
Possibly a weak intake valve spring; or dirty valve guide or valve seat ?

How about a low-weak, or lack of fuel flow/ fuel pump issue, to your carb from the auto's fuel tank ?

Low carb float level setting ?

You seemed to have already checked-out the carb & ignition systems ?

A lean fuel/air mixture, or improper ignition timing, can also cause this sort of backfire issue.

just a few thoughts~

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Charvey
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Mar 2013 23:50 #24828 by Charvey
FC eng. carburetor backfire was created by Charvey
Help! I'm running out of ideas to fix this. My 812SC has an intermittet carb. backfire while accelerating through 2000 rpm or higher, usually if the acceleration is quick. I have rebuilt the carb., set the accel. pump rod on the longer stroke. Checked fuel pump output, new fuel filter, drained the tank & installed fresh gas. I went through the entire ignition sys. New plugs, wires, points & cond. cap & rotor, checked advance weights, set timing. Compression check is good (within 10 lbs of each other). Manifold vacuum is 15.5 @ idle with a steady needle. Checked for vacuum leaks. Any ideas? I greatly appreciate your help

Charles Harvey