Copper brake lines

• T_Hussey
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Mar 2013 21:04 #24807 by T_Hussey
Replied by T_Hussey on topic Copper brake lines
Hi,

Thank you for all for replying, I appreciate your insight and experience!

I am sure that lines made of steel (painted or plated) will be safe. I also had a look at the [url:gvayaop0]http://www.brakequip.com/[/url:gvayaop0] site. From the details about the EziBend? / CuNiFer lines, it looks as if the copper alloy is about twice as strong as the copper plumbing lines. They also have a tech section with good info: [url:gvayaop0]http://brakequip.com/pdf_library.html[/url:gvayaop0]

All these tubes spec a minimum bend radius that the installer must deal with. The tube should be discarded if a tighter bend is made, not just un bent. This is true even if there is no kink. In addition, the type of flare a tube can be used with depends on the finish of the tube. The modern tubes are finished outside such that double flare is used.

I have no comfort with the use of stainless unless it is done in a top notch shop. The double flare will crack as it is bent double at the flare. When the crack opens, no brakes. I will let the pros do this work. The metal needs to be crimped, annealed (heat treated), then have the double flare completed. In our application it is also the wrong color unless plated/painted.

I can?t agree that copper lines produced today are good in this application. Perhaps the wall thickness of the original lines were greater (?). Perhaps the alloy was stronger(?). In a panic stop you will be above working strength of today?s copper lines.

My take away is that the EziBend? / CuNiFer lines offer the correct look and are safe. I will plan to go that way.

Regards,
Tom

Cheers,
Tom Hussey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
17 Mar 2013 21:24 #24799 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Copper brake lines
Copper works fine - they were copper to begin with on the 1930 Franklin and Dad replaced them with copper back in 1979 and they have been going strong ever since with many many thousands of miles.

JMM

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2013 00:04 #24733 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Copper brake lines
(a) The original 1930s brake line was a heavy-wall tubing, not a fuel line.

(b) I drove Cords for decades with the original copper brake lines, including emergency stops, with never a problem.

(c) Cunifer/EZBend is the way to go today.

(d) IMHO, a car that is judged and has brake lines other than copper color should lose points.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2013 05:25 #24728 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Nickel Copper Brake Line
Hi,

Well, I picked up a coil of 1/4" nickel copper brake line from my NAPA store. It was a warehouse item: I ordered it at 10:00 and they had at my branch store by 2:00. Clearly it is a readily available item, and not very expensive.

I took a little time to play with the material. Using my super-duper Eastwood flaring tool, I ran a half dozen double flares with no rejects and no problems. The material works like butter. I also bent a few fairly shallow radii both by hand and with a bender--no problems.

Finally, after a little on-line research, I'm convinced. No more steel brake lines; this car and ones to follow will be plumbed with nickel copper tubing.

Thank you to all who contributed to my education in this matter. :D

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2013 04:28 #24726 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Copper brake lines
Both copper and stainless steel tubeing comes in differant wall thicknes. I have used both in the electrical power plants for 30 years. Its true that stainless is really tuff to bend. Try bending 1/2 and above of that stuff.. It takes two men and a couple of small boys to bend it...

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2013 02:28 #24725 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Copper brake lines
Just to clear the air Ezibend and CuNifer are one of the same. At the site I posted before you can buy rolls and put your ends where you want them.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2013 14:10 #24713 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Brake Line
Hi,

I love this Forum.

Looks like I'll be making a trip to my NAPA store for CuNiFer brake line material!

--Tom

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2013 05:51 #24712 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Copper brake lines
CuNiFer tubing is the way to go.
It may be a bit of a problem to find locally however ?
I like this material much better than standard steel lines.
CuNiFer is also very easy to bend & double flare.

I have also used Stainess Steel tubing.
And Stainless Steel tubing is a real pain to work with, bend, and also double flare.
And it looks so out of place on an older car from an originality standpoint.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2013 02:01 #24711 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Copper Brake Lines
I'm not sure how copper brake lines got such a bad rap. Growing up in the 40's and 50's my dad had mostly pre-war Grahams that all had copper lines. Never burst a single one, lots of leaky master and wheel cylinders etc. however.
The problem these days is even if you wanted to replace copper with copper you have a difficult time finding 1/4 in copper lines. However in the states your local NAPA store should have available something called NiCopp tubing (which is a copper nickel and iron alloy) in 1/4 in. diameter various length pieces with flares and fittings that are the same threads as the originals. It has a light copper hue and can be bent with your fingers.

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2013 20:33 #24708 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic Copper brake lines
All of my cars restored received CuNiFer CN102 ("Cunifer 10") brakelines and also any other petrol or hydroulic lines where made of the same material in different sizes. They are easy to work on tight bends and perfect flares, they don't rust and need no paint , they look like aged copper and are safe.
One word on painting steel brakelines : in europe they will be a fail on MOT ! Best regards from Switzerland, Philipp :D

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Murray Hall
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2013 04:30 #24703 by Murray Hall
Replied by Murray Hall on topic Copper brake lines
About 20 years ago, when we were restoring our 1929 L-29 Cord, a friend of mine in Michigan got me some copper plated steel brake lines to use on our car. The steel line had the needed strength and the copper plating made it look original on the outside. I don't know whether this type of line is still available or not but I will try and find out.
Murray

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2013 02:57 #24699 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Copper brake lines
I have copper brake lines on my L-29 Cord and have had no trouble. I replaced the copper lines on my 35 Auburn with Ezibend lines. They, as the name implies, are very easy to bend and will not rust. They also have a copper hue to them. If one goes to brakequip.com you can read about these lines. Of more concern to me is not the hard brake lines made of copper but the brake hoses that on many cars are way too old!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 19:54 #24686 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Re: Copper Brake Lines
Hi Tom,

I raised this copper brake line issue a couple of years ago in the Forum. I was stunned to find that copper was used as a brake line material, and I asked the Forum if that was standard issue, or if some hacker who lacked the necessary tools had improvised with copper--a frowned-upon practice to my knowledge.

I had responses that told me that indeed copper was used as the original brake line material. I also got a number of Forum replies and emails from Cord owners saying that they had replaced theirs with modern steel brake lines. One response, however, said basically to trust the Cord engineers' decision to use copper of the appropriate thickness and alloy.

Engineers or not, I don't trust copper brake lines. My sense of trust doesn't go that far in view of the several engineering under-designs that are part of the 810-812 Cord. So I am in the process of bending up new steel ones for my Cord.

Perhaps the BEST response I received was to install modern steel brake lines and then PAINT them copper color! This preserves appearance and upgrades safety--a no-lose situation.

BTW, for a few years I used cheap-ass auto-parts store brake line benders and flaring tools to make my own lines. Those tools were worth exactly what I paid for them, and I threw out a lot of ruined tubing. Finally I threw out the tools also. Eastwood.com sells a terrific brake line double-flare tool (Item #25304) that I HIGHLY recommend. It's not cheap at $250, but it works like a production tool ought to. After you make your first flare you won't care about the price. I have made dozens of flares with ZERO failures or rejects. Eastwood also has very good quality bending tools, sometimes sold as part of a package deal with the the flaring tool. You can see their tools at work on youtube.

--Tom

• T_Hussey
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 19:09 #24684 by T_Hussey
Copper brake lines was created by T_Hussey
I have a follow on brake question for the group...

What should be done with lines in the brake system?

As I understand things, the hydraulics are made up of 1/4 .035 wall copper line and flex hoses. It looks like the pedal/master cylinder has about a 6:1 mechanical advantage and the master has about 1 sq/inch. This suggests that in a panic, a person might develop 1000 psi or more in the system. That is right at the working strength of the copper lines.

There is a margin here between working and burst strength, but some of that will be reduced by bending and flaring of the tube. It is difficult to figure out if the system has much/any margin because so much depends on the quality of the work done bending and flaring the lines.

Do many people keep the stock copper lines on cars that are driven? Are modern flex lines produced that look the same as stock? Are these sort of changes frowned upon when a car is judged?

Thanks,
Tom Hussey

Cheers,
Tom Hussey