Skip to main content

Need help to ID transmission switches

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2013 23:07 #24603 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Thank you Charles!
Hi Charles,

Thank you for taking the time and effort of making these photos available to me. I now know what I am looking for, and I know where they go. BIG improvement as I look at this shifting project!

Thank you again!

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2013 19:21 #24601 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Need help to ID transmission switches
Hi Tim,

I have the DVD--I just [i:1mtpmfx4]forgot[/i:1mtpmfx4] that I have it! I'll search and learn!

I'll go with new switches from Stan as I can afford to. My wiring harnesses are all new material--I bought them several years ago. The Selector Switch items are in a price class of their own--I'll machine what I can.

The response and photos I have received from members are priceless to me, and I am very grateful for the help. A picture is worth a thousand words. The members' pictures also remind me that I am not alone in having a Cord that is being rebuilt.

Looking for exhaust smoke by Reunion!!!

--Tom

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2013 18:19 #24599 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Switches
Hi Tom: if you would purchase the Club's DVD of all the Newsletters; you can download all the pertinent articles on the Cord transmission. You get pictures, wiring diagrams, trouble shooting ideas, the whole gamut. And it helps the Club. Email Justin Kerns, he can send it to you.
Personally, I would go all modern with the switches and wiring.
CORDially, Tim.

• charlesflick
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2013 04:13 #24596 by charlesflick
Replied by charlesflick on topic transmission switch photos
I think this info is right but please correct me if I am wrong.

This is the Clutch switch
s699.beta.photobucket.com/user/c ... 8.jpg.html

s699.beta.photobucket.com/user/c ... e.jpg.html

This is where it is located

s699.beta.photobucket.com/user/c ... 0.jpg.html

This is the interlock switch
s699.beta.photobucket.com/user/c ... 4.jpg.html

I think this is the neutral switch

s699.beta.photobucket.com/user/c ... 9.jpg.html

Charles Flick

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2013 00:08 #24593 by Tom_Parkinson
Need help to ID transmission switches was created by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

Many of you know the story of my 1937 Cord Westchester, and how I received it disassembled in 1980 with boxes and boxes of unlabeled parts. You also know that it has largely been collecting dust, other than an annual excursion to Auburn on a trailer, since 1980.

Well, my friends in the Lambda Car Club International local chapter have organized a friendly but persistent nagging campaign to get me to start making real progress on getting the car running. So, off we go. The goal is to have it at least drivable, if not street legal, by the Labor Day reunion weekend in Auburn.

Today I took stock of what I've got and what I do or don't know about the car's transmission shift system. In this winter weather I am limited to work that can be done indoors in the basement shop rather than in the unheated garage. I have therefore chosen for the first significant step forward to rebuild the selector switch and cap, and to line up everything it takes to connect up the wiring. I have the entire original selector assembly, a new selector shift harness, and a new under-hood harness. The selector cap, is of course, broken in the usual manner, so I will be machining a functional replacement as the cost of buying one is prohibitive to me. I also intend to machine whatever has to be re-done in the selector switch housing, for the same reason. I have the article from Pat Leahy explaining how to disassemble the selector switch from the switch body, Josh Malks's wiring diagram, and a bunch of not-terribly-helpful photos from 1950 when my dad bought the car and took it apart.

Here's what I don't know if I even have or not, what the items look like, and I don't know where in the world they are to be located on the car:

1) The switch that is closed when the clutch is depressed to allow the gear selection process to happen;

2) A so-called "neutral" switch (?)

3) An "interlock" switch. I have seen articles about this, but I don't know what it looks like or where it is located on the car.

It's likely that these parts are in one of the parts bins. I just don't know what I am looking for and where they are to be mounted on the car. If anyone could post a picture of these switches and a description, drawing, or photo of where they go, I'd be very grateful.

Looking forward to making exhaust in Auburn,

--Tom