Whats The Correct Spot Lite

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2013 17:14 #24492 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Whats The Correct Spot Lite
Thanks once again for this information. It has opened up new info I was not aware of with these great cars. My 37 Beverly had a mounted spot lite at one time long ago. The hole thru the post is still visible on the inside of the windshiled post but not on the outside of the post. Looking thru the hole with a flashlite I can see a copper penny was used to weld up the outside hole. Sadly I can't actually see the year of the penny. Even if I could see it that would not really tell me what year it was patched. Just an interesting fact about my car...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2013 17:03 #24491 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Whats The Correct Spot Lite
Ahhhh. Now I understand. The reason for my confusion is that the only accessory exterior light on an 810-812 were the fog lights. There was no factory option for spot lights listed in the official Cord accessory guide. That being said, many cars do have them including my supercharged phaeton. Like many accessories seen over the years on our cars, they were most likely sold and installed by the local dealer. In my phaeton's case I have an early picture of the car, possibly when brand new, with Appleton lights installed mid-post on either side on the windshield. While they look great, they nevertheless were dealer installed extras. Since they were not official options, my plan is to remove them to maintain originality for judging purposes.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2013 16:15 #24490 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Whats The Correct Spot Lite
Thanks very much for this great information on the fog lites. I'm actually asking about the hand operated spot lites that the driver has control of in the car. They are the directional ones used to spot things anywhere road side. Thanks again for the front fog lite information found on the front of these cars. I will save this in my files because its great information to have and share with others.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2013 05:46 #24488 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Whats The Correct Spot Lite
Hello:

The accepted fog light set up for an 810-812 is made by Fog-King. From time to time you will see them with the Fog-King company embossing covered by a painted and polished tag the reads CORD. The brackets are the tough part on the fog light option. They should be oriented nearly horizontally and measure 6 1/2" from the bumper face plate of the bracket to the mounting pin on the light. This mount will bring the back of the light approximately 1" from the front sheetmetal. They should have an amber yellow lens that has a 1/8" ring painted about 3/4" smaller than the full diameter of the lens. Since these lights were almost always installed at the dealer, you might see lights that are not exactly the same as what I am describing. Even the Cord option catalog shows a drawing of the light with slightly different bezels which further causes confusion. I believe you will find most Cord history buffs would agree on this description. Good luck!

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2013 04:38 #24487 by 1748 S
Whats The Correct Spot Lite was created by 1748 S
I asked back in the end of Jan. what the correct spot lite is for the Cord. I have looked at the Appleton, Lorriane and Unity spots but have no idea whish is what was the one used on the Cords. I could use some information because I'm watching several now and want to buy. Thanks for any help...