Frame straightening

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 May 2012 18:06 #22789 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Frame straightening
Hi Pat,

I just re-read your response. I am not at all sure that both sides are off kilter by the same or similar amounts. I'll know more when I get the alignment taken are of.There's a large-truck body shop near here, and I'll talk with them after I get the information from the alignment effort.

Thank you again for your assistance.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 May 2012 16:38 #22787 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic I
Hi,

Thank you Tom, Henry, and Pat!

Looks like a Budweiser Alignment Party is in order for the weekend!!

I'll post the results on this thread.

Thanks again, Tom, Henry, and Pat!!

--Tom

Goal: to have this Cord running under its own power, and stopping upon request, by Auburn.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
08 May 2012 14:43 #22786 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Frame straightening
Tom, most likely the replies so far will work. I assume both sides are similarly off dimensionally. I have stripped down a number of Cords and reassembling them, and I am always amazed at how they change stance as all items are replaced. The stub frame and its connection to the unibody is extremely robust and usually does not get damaged easily.
On my S/C Custom that was in a severe wreck in 2002, I took my car to a heavy truck body shop with a large frame machine. They checked my car on table and is was twisted 2-1/2" front-back/side to side. The problem was evident because even though the passenger side was severely damage, the driver side floor board was buckled up. After devising a method to anchor my Cord down, large hydraulic arms gradually pulled everything back in shape. I am sure yours will not be this extensive. I also rebuilt Bill Hummel's old Custom Beverly for Scott Ferguson which was hit hard in the front and side/roof, but had no frame or unibody damage. Good luck...

Pat Leahy

More
08 May 2012 04:07 #22778 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic wheel alignment
Tom, Please pay attention to what Tom has told you. You must also load the front end with sand bags or make temporary longer suspension bolts so that the center of the mounting holes for the front bumper are about 11.5" to 12" above the level floor. Also have some of your friends get in the back seat so that the distance from the bottom of the frame to the floor just forward of the rear wheel well is about 1" more than the distance from bottom of frame to floor at a point about where the u/j would come through the frame. This should get you into the ballpark to make other measurements. Have fun! Henry

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 May 2012 13:45 #22777 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Camber
Hi Tom,

Your comments spell out an excellent way to proceed. Next weekend I will "string" the wheels and make a camber-measuring device. Lord knows what it may tell me!!!!

--Tom

More
02 May 2012 22:58 #22751 by T_Hussey
Replied by T_Hussey on topic Frame straightening
Hi Tom,

I had a look through the Cord Service Instructions & Specifications Handbook and found details of front alignment. They specified 1 degree +ve camber. What do you measure?

The suspension when unloaded by removal of front end sheet metal, radiators and so on will naturally raise the frame up. This will mess with the camber even in a trailing arm setup. In this case it is also important that toe is set or the error can be large. The steering also needs to be set dead straight. I suggest a trammel bar and scribe the tire to set toe up. I would "string" the car to ensure the wheels are completely straight.

If there is a bend in the frame I believe it would likely be on the front stub frame bar where the trailing arms are mounted. Could it be that the trailing arm bearings have just moved in their mounting holes?

I think you are right to investigate this now because this could place undue pressure on the CV joint if there is a bend somewhere.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,
Tom Hussey

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 May 2012 16:24 #22750 by Tom_Parkinson
Frame straightening was created by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

My dear old Cord project car (started Aug 31, 1950, still under way) has finally brought me face to face with a frame or unibody problem. Before 1950 the car was in a collision that by my reconstruction of events caused the right front wheel of the car to be pushed forcibly against a curb, resulting in the top of the right front wheel being tilted outward out of vertical. The camber is not adjustable, so I have concluded that the tilt to the wheel must have resulted from this collision.

I was hopeful that only the right trailing arm was bent, and that replacement would solve the problem. Bought one, tried that, resulting in no change in the galliwump of the wheel. Since replacing the trailing arm didn't help, I have now concluded that either the frame or the unibody is warped, or both.

I don't plan on this car to be a long-distance driver like Josh's legendary Moonshadow, but I would like it NOT to look like it is duck walking.

Whacked-out right front wheel camber.

Does anyone have experience in straightening a Cord frame and unibody? What can ya'll advise me about this problem?

Thanks,

--Tom