Skip to main content

Help, Please. Museum of Modern Art Cord

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2012 00:48 #22708 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Help, Please. Museum of Modern Art Cord
It would have had to been a very late prewar Lincoln as they were not called Continental till 39. They were "just" "Lincolns", the second generation had a Cord /Buehrig design connection. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Continental
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Mark_II

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• West Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2012 18:55 #22706 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Help, Please. Museum of Modern Art Cord
That's sort of the question I asked. MOMA does not own the Cord. There were eight cars in all that were on display.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2012 18:45 #22705 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Help, Please. Museum of Modern Art Cord
Josh, did MOMA own the car or was it on loan?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• West Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2012 17:03 #22704 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Help, Please. Museum of Modern Art Cord
Thanks, Josh. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure so that I wouldn't be a further contributor to the corruption.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2012 16:53 #22703 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Help, Please. Museum of Modern Art Cord
The exhibit "8 Automobiles" that took place at New York's Museum of Modern Art in 1951 included a Cord. The car was an unsupercharged 812 Custom Beverly. (The cover of the brochure that accompanied the exhibit, along with the two-page spread that describe the Cord, are shown on page 254 of Cord Complete.)

MOMA wrote nothing else about the exhibit Cord. It made no value judgments about the specific cars, nor did it rank them in any way. I know of no Cord exhibited at MOMA since, and certainly not as part of a permanent display.

The ramblings on various websites are often based on poorly-understood facts, further corrupted as each copies from the one before.

In its preface to the individual descriptions, MOMA described automobiles as "hollow rolling sculpture". William Jackson used part of this phrase as the title for Gordon Buehrig's book.

Funny story: one of the other cars in the "8 Automobiles" exhibit was a prewar Lincoln Continental coupe. Years later when Lincoln restarted the Continental series, they ran an ad stating that the original Lincoln Continental was the only luxury car featured in the famous MOMA exhibit. Gordon wrote to Lincoln reminding them that there were actually two luxury cars on exhibit. Lincoln's PR agency responded by letter, stating that in their opinion the Cord was not a luxury car but a "sport sedan". they stood by their ad.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• West Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2012 13:51 #22701 by West Peterson
Help, Please. Museum of Modern Art Cord was created by West Peterson
Based on what I've read on the ACD Museum web page, I see that the 810 Cord was honored by the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) as one of eight cars on display in 1951. The ACD museum's website also states what the catalog said.

As I do more online research, I see a LOT of sites saying that MOMA proclaimed it one of the most beautiful cars in the world, and one of the ten most significant cars ever, etc. These types of statements are not given on the ACD Museum website. Now I'm reading from someone that there is a 1936 Cord on permanent display at MOMA.

Can I get the true scoop, please. Are these myths?
Thanks.