Skip to main content

chassis no.

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
03 May 2012 22:28 #22758 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic chassis no.
John Oliver, do you want to drive a lot your Cord or run it just close to your home, or to some shows ? My Cord is going to be a driver, therefore i ordered the following stuff :
Richardson CV- joint conversion long bolt hub, drums can be taken off without disturbing bearings and no risk to brake the flanges, no noise in corners.
Don Wohlwend's rear hub long bolt, so you can take off the drums without disturbing the bearings and they don't crack and last but not least, new one-pieces-aluminium Rims from Don as well, they look the part, close to the original, no crackrisk and you can use radial tubeless tyres if you want or with tubes if you like.

Henry Portz electrical stuff like the uncutt wireingharness, and new Waterpump impeller-kit. Henry gives you Gearbox-advise; get your oilpump overhouled.

On the list would be also the new redesigned cylinderheads if my originals don't work. The new microswitch for the gearbox and new speedleaverswitch ist good money worth to invest. Just my 2 cents,
Read the articles of Don Wohlwend in the newsletter : Number 3 2008 , Number 6 in 2008 and number 7, 2008 . Best is to buy the Newsletter-CD where you can find all artikles back to the 50's. Cordially Philipp :)

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnoliver
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
03 May 2012 21:50 #22757 by johnoliver
Replied by johnoliver on topic chassis no.
Hi Tim thanks for your reply and the very helpful info.
The car has been sold to Isac van der Wat. It was in storage since the death, some 11 years ago, of John Saunders. The following information was supplied with the car: serial no 810 , 1154 S engine no. FB269 and body no. C90 210 Beverly sedan fastback. This confirms exactly the data that you were able to look up for me. There is as yet no sign of the data plate that was on the car and it must have been removed at some time when the car was repainted. It may still turn up in the effects of the late owner.
Isac tells me that he has known of the car for at least the last 20 years and that he probably saw this car originally some plus minus 40 years ago when it was still complete and a runner.
The car is in need of a ground up restoration and although striped it is mostly original and not previously worked on. Work is to start on the car as soon as possible and advice on the gearbox restoration and CV joints will be required.
Thanks
John Oliver

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2012 15:26 #22730 by oldbanger71
Hi Tim, i had a look in my folder, since this last post and had a look at the tag plates that i received with the car, the CMC plate says C90 1574 and the VIN plate says : 812 1662 S, FB 1811 is clear,but can you match CMC C 90 1574 somewhere ?

812 310 121 S

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2012 14:37 #22729 by oldbanger71
Hi Tim Thanks for the News, the possability of a stubframe number 2482 A could stirr up some new tracks to the true ID of my "car " .

I did some research with some well known ACD Members aubout what Car and Parts-pile i have.
Physically i have : Car body of a 812 Custom Beverly 8 Louvers with front/Rear folding armrest's, belived to be serial number 812 310121 s going by Ron Irwin's list.
i have Engine FB 1811 non Sc but, with Exhaust of a SC. some additional SC-part's are there as well. The original engine should be FC2625 which appears to be lost. The stub frame is stamped as 1482 but, according you, might also be unitnumber 2482 A . Engine Number FB1811 is clearly linked witch Charles C. Audet and D.J. Hellman and also the title is connetcted to FB 1811 / Audet/ Hellman, obviously last registered in 1974 ( with engine FB1811, i belive ). In Ron's Master list FB 1811 figurates as Replacement engine in 812 312121 s. In connection on the FB 1811 california titel is first David Johan Hellman, and second ; Carswell Charles Audet . The Car had then registration KAX514,Both of this registrations plateswas where stolen during the transport between USA and Switzerland, when i bought it ! According this well known ACD- Member the bodynumber could likley be C105 171 which would fit to 310121 s. The body was hacked for rearwheel drive, probably after 1974 and apparentley rhumors say that once there was a big Caddilac engine in. If my stubframe was realy (1)482 A , according you, it might have ben aquired in '87 , by who ? Was it the seller, that sold it to me trough Hyman , that tried to undue that Hot Rod caddilac thing ?. What else can you tell me about 2482 A and (1)482 A ? was it originally 482 and someone stamped a " 1 " in front... it doesn't look like. Interesting is, that i received the car with a Westchester-Steering collumn, which was to short for Custom Beverly . I wrote to C. C. Audet but he was not much of help.
The twisted ID of 310121 S and stubframe 1482 / 2482 A, is why i talked of donor car stubframe. Here are the numbers i have and im curious if you find new or other links to mach up. if you like i can send you the letters, of that well known ACD member, that kindly helped me to sort this out . It's not yet restored and it will be interesting to get the ID correct since the car was sold with a made up VIN which is 812 310 482 s, by Hyman. Unfortunatly i had it imported with this number and registered at the swiss Import departement and only found out later about 310121 s. Unfortunatly Hyman refused to name me the previous owner, that sold it to him! And when i kept asking him, he obviously gave me a made up name to get me quiet. Please send me a PM with your direct e-mail-address, as the letters are long and large in size. CORDially Philipp

812 310 121 S

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2012 22:23 #22722 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Chassis no.
Hi phillip: i was thinking that while i have the notes out i might try to find more info on your car. Your frame (unit) stamping looks correct. There is an 810 westchester with serial number 1482A ; engine FB 516; CMC of C 90 585; belonged to a J. adams of virginia in 1987. So, that would mean a frame stamping of 482.
I don't know about the "donor car" you are referring to. Your 1482 frame stamping would mean a serial number of 2482A. Ron irwin's notes show a 2481A and a 2483A! Maybe you have an " unknown" cord, or at least the stub frame for one.
The plot thickens!
Cordially, tim.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2012 21:49 #22721 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Chassis no.
Hi john: with what little information you have sent so far.....i found this:
Unit number of 154 would make serial number 1154 S. (S) for Beverly or Custom Beverly. Engine Number should be FB 269; central manufacturing number (C.M.C.) should be C 90 210. As of 1991, a mr. Saunders in south africa owned this car. Right hand drive, and with arm chair seats with a non-folding center arm rest.
This info is from ron irwin's (the cord historian) notes on all the known cords.
Tim.

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2012 20:16 #22720 by oldbanger71

Thats what mine looks like and if you look close enough you see a "1" that resebles an " L" so mine say's for a unknown reason 1482, the one should not be stamped in front, according to Josh's " Cord Complete " book, This number corresponds with the donor car VIN 810 1482 A.
I recommend you to buy Josh's Book not only for the information but also because it's avery nice book to have.

CORDially Philipp

812 310 121 S

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2012 19:45 #22716 by oldbanger71
Hi Johnoliver, normaly to my best knowledge there are no letters stamped in , only 3 digits like 482 one ads a 1 , so it's 1482. you may have a very close look and you might discover that your "L" is the first number of the 3 digits ( *54 ). can you post a very sharp and good pic here ?
Engine should fit to the framenumber and Bodynumber and VIN but are individual numbers ( they correspond normaly with the records ). But will not if either of them have ben replaced at one point.
Please look if you " L " could be a "1" in the same style of the other letters. CORDially Philipp

812 310 121 S

• johnoliver
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2012 17:17 #22712 by johnoliver
Thanks for the prompt and good advice.
The number is there just above the line of the two rivets and is so faint that it would sand off very quickly.
Ok so the number is L 5 4 large and well spaced.
The engine is not in the car but lying on the floor unfortunately on the side where the number should be, as soon as I get some help to move the engine I will list its no. also.

The cowl shows clearly where the original tags were meant to be and it still has the rivet holes and a slight indentation where the tags once were. But this is definitely on the right hand side.

The car is a right hand drive car.
Thanks, John Oliver.

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2012 15:22 #22702 by oldbanger71
Johnoliver,
Tim is right in respect of where to find the chassisnumber BUT...
I would recommend you, not to use Sandpaper to find the numbers, as he menshioned that they are very lightley stamped and could easy be sanded away befor you notice, better use chemical stripper !
Cordialy Philipp

812 310 121 S

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2012 22:28 #22694 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Unit number
John: i don't know if south africa uses right hand drive, but if they do, the serial number plate and the body number plate will be on the left side of the cowl. Any engine block stamping? Left front of block.
Tim.

• johnoliver
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2012 20:47 #22693 by johnoliver
Thanks, will look tomorrow and let you have the no.
John Oliver

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2012 20:40 #22692 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Unit number
On the right side of the frame; just behind the right front shock absorber; between two large rivets. This is the "unit" number; add 1000 to the unit number to get the serial number. The unit number is normally very lightly stamped, where even a coat of paint will cover and fill it in. You may have to use sandpaper to remove the paint/rust to find the number.
Please advise me if you find the unit number; i may be able to use that number to find other info about the car.
Cordially, tim.

• johnoliver
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2012 20:25 #22691 by johnoliver
chassis no. was created by johnoliver
Please help.

I am interested in purchasing a Cord 810 Beverly sedan that is forsale. The car has had the makers info plate removed from the outside right cowl.
Where can I find a chassis no?
Thanks